1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoke's Theorem

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Stoke's Theorem to calculate [itex]\int_C\vec{F}\cdot\, dr[/itex], where
    [itex]\vec{F}=<x^2z\, ,xy^2\,,z^2>[/itex] and C is the curve of the intersection of the plane [itex]x+y+z=1[/itex] and the cylinder
    (C is oriented clockwise when viewed from above.)
    Answer: [itex]\frac{81}{2}\pi[/itex].

2. Relevant equations Stoke's Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, let me try to explain where I am getting lost. Firstly, I know that the premise of Stoke's Theorem is that is relates a line integral to a Surface integral.

When I graph this, I get a cylinder that is symmetrical about the z-axis and it is intersected by a plane which results in an ellipse. (see terrible drawing below)

Now, I need to parametrize (how do you spell that anyway?) S. Now S is the surface that is bounded by C right? If not, please stop me here.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Yes. S is any surface that is bounded by C. Usually the easiest surface to work with is the plane surface bounded by C if C can be visualised as lying on a plane.
  4. Dec 17, 2008 #3
    I know form doing this in class that we parametrized S as r=<x, y, 1-x-y>

but I am not so sure why. Oh wait... is that the surface bounded by the ellipse?

So now all I need to do is find dr/dx x dr/dy and compute the dot product of the resultant with F(r(x,y) and integrate?
  5. Dec 17, 2008 #4
    You are told that x + y + z = 1 and now you parametrize that by <x,y,f(x,y)> and z = f(x,y) = 1 - x - y by algebra (is that part of your question?)
  6. Dec 17, 2008 #5
    I guess my question is what is S? Is it the the surface of the ellipse? I believe it is, so I guess my question has been answered.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?