1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoke's Theorem

1. Dec 12, 2009 #1
    Hello: I usually think of Stoke's Theorem as:

[tex]\oint F\bullet dr = \int \int curl F \bullet dS[/tex]
    where dr is over a curve C and dS is over a surface sigma. But today in class the instructor said that Stoke's Theorem can also be used to change the surface over which one is intergrating, so that if sigma has a well defined boundary, say, C, then the surface integral of function F over sigma = surface integral F over any surface with C as the boundary. A more concrete example, so then say you are integrating some F over a paraboloid z = sqrt(1-x^2-y^2) above the xy plane. So then would it be true that my surface integral over the paraboloid would be the same as if I integrated over the disk formed by x^2+y^2 = 1? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, Stokes says the two surface integrals are equal to the same line integral. Why shouldn't they be equal?

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3
    they would be, but I thought then you must have that F is the curl of some other function. So if div F = 0 then it would be true. But would it be true if div F is not zero? Thanks.

5. Dec 13, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The version of Stokes I'm thinking of says that the surface integral of curl(F).ds is equal to the line integral of F.dr. It doesn't say require div(F)=0. And it doesn't say anything about the surface integral of F itself, just curl(F).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook