1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes theorem

1. Aug 4, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi there. I was trying to solve this problem, from the book. The problem statement says:
    Integrate [tex]\nabla \times{F},F=(3y,-xz,-yz^2)[/tex] over the portion of the surface [tex]2z=x^2+y^2[/tex] under the plane z=2, directly and using Stokes theorem.

So I started solving the integral directly. For the rotational I got:

[tex]\nabla \times{F}=\left|\begin{matrix}i&j&k\\ \frac{\partial}{\partial x}&\frac{\partial}{\partial y}&\frac{\partial}{\partial z}\\3y&-xz&-yz^{2}\end{matrix}\right|=(x-z^{2},0,-z-3)[/tex]

Then I parametrized the surface.:

[itex]\begin{matrix}x=x=r\cos \theta\\ y=r \sin \theta \\z=\displaystyle\frac{r^2}{2}\end{matrix}, \theta[0,2\pi] ,r[0,2][/itex]

Then I did: [tex]T_r\times{T_{\theta}}[/tex]

[tex]T_r=(\cos \theta,\sin \theta,r),T_{\theta}=(-r\sin \theta,r\cos \theta,0)[/tex]

For the cross product I got:
    [tex]T_r\times{T_{\theta}}=(r^2\cos \theta,-r^2\sin \theta,r)[/tex]

And then I computed the integral

[tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{2\pi}(r\cos \theta-\displaystyle\frac{r^4}{4},0,\displaystyle\frac{-r^2}{2}-3)\cdot{(-r^2\cos \theta,-r^2\sin \theta,r)}d\theta dr=-12\pi[/tex]

The result given by the book is: [tex]20\pi[/tex].

I don't know what I did wrong, and is one of the first exercises that I've solved for the stokes theorem, so maybe I could get some advices and corrections from you :)

Thank you in advance. Bye.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2
    I've corrected some typos. Is there anybody out there? :P

4. Aug 5, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is wrong. It should be [itex]\left<-r^2cos(\theta), -r^2sin(\theta), r\right>[/itex] (oriented "upward").

5. Aug 5, 2011 #4
    Thank you very much HallsofIvy. How did you realize that the orientation was negative? I can identify a positive oriented normal in the Cartesian coordinates, but I don't know how to do it in cylindrical or spherical coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook