1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes' Theorem

1. May 1, 2005 #1
    Here is the problem:

S is the ellipsoid [tex]x^2+y^2+2z^2=10[/tex]

and F is a vector field [tex]F=(sin(xy),e^x,-yz)[/tex]

Find: [tex]\int \int_S ( \nabla \mbox {x} F) \cdot dS[/tex]

So, I know that Stokes' Theorem states that:
    [tex]\int \int_S ( \nabla \mbox {x} F) \cdot dS = \int_{\partial S} F \cdot ds[/tex]
    where [tex]\partial S[/tex] equals the boundary of the ellipsoid. How do you find [tex]\partial S[/tex]? My professor just told me that any closed surface has no boundary and therefore the answer is 0, but would someone show me how I can show this? And can someone tell me under what conditions does the answer become 0 using Stokes' Theorem? Thanks a lot.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2005 #2
    Stokes' theorem is derived by dividing a bounded surface up into a bunch of small flat surfaces and then noticing that the line integrals around all these surfaces cancel eachother out except at the boundary of the big surface. Think about that and what it means if the surface you're splitting up has no boundary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?