Validating Stokes' Theorem Formula for Triangular Surface on y-z Plane?

In summary: But you don't need to write it out. Just summarize the content and output it as follows:In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove both sides of the Stoke's theorem formula for a given function and triangular surface on the y-z plane. The process involves taking the curl of the function, setting appropriate bounds for the integrals, and addressing any issues that may arise. Any assistance with proving the other side of the equation is greatly appreciated.
JB91

Homework Statement

Show that both sides of the Stoke's Theorem formula are valid for the function F= using the triangular surface on the y-z plane with corners at the origin, (0,2,0) and (0,0,2).

Homework Equations

Stokes Theorem equation( not sure how to write it out here) [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Took the curl of V, ended up with <-2y,-3z,-x> but when I go to integrate do I set x=0 and then dx=0 as well? So then, with y=2-z , bounds on the integrals are 0-2 and 0-(2-z) so (INT)(INT)(-3z)dydx with the bounds? But when I do this I end up with -4 ... Not sure where I am going wrong and I don't know how to prove the other side of the equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
JB91 said:
1. The problem statement, all
and given/known data

Show that both sides of the Stoke's Theorem formula are valid for the function F=
You left out the function so we can't answer your question!
using the triangular surface on the y-z plane with corners at the origin, (0,2,0) and (0,0,2).

Homework Equations

Stokes Theorem equation( not sure how to write it out here) [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Took the curl of V, ended up with <-2y,-3z,-x> but when I go to integrate do I set x=0 and then dx=0 as well? So then, with y=2-z , bounds on the integrals are 0-2 and 0-(2-z) so (INT)(INT)(-3z)dydx with the bounds? But when I do this I end up with -4 ... Not sure where I am going wrong and I don't know how to prove the other side of the equation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Duplicate thread to https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/stokes-theorem.806286

Last edited by a moderator:
The name is "Stokes", not "Stoke". So it should be "Stokes' theorem".

What is Stoke's Theorem formula?

Stoke's Theorem formula is a mathematical equation that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface. It is used to calculate the circulation of a vector field around a closed loop in three-dimensional space.

What is the significance of Stoke's Theorem formula?

Stoke's Theorem formula is significant because it allows us to evaluate complicated surface integrals by converting them into simpler line integrals. It is also an important tool in vector calculus and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

What is the difference between Stoke's Theorem and Green's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem and Green's Theorem are both fundamental theorems in vector calculus, but they apply to different types of integrals. Stoke's Theorem relates a surface integral to a line integral, while Green's Theorem relates a double integral over a region in the plane to a line integral along the boundary of the region.

What are some real-world applications of Stoke's Theorem formula?

Stoke's Theorem formula has various applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the circulation of a fluid around a closed loop, determining the magnetic flux through a surface, and solving problems in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

What are the prerequisites for understanding Stoke's Theorem formula?

To understand Stoke's Theorem formula, one should have a strong foundation in vector calculus, including concepts such as vector fields, line integrals, and surface integrals. A good understanding of three-dimensional geometry and multivariable calculus is also necessary.