1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoke's thrm

1. May 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex] \vec{F} = (z - y)\vec{i} + (x - z)\vec{j} + (y - x)\vec{k} [/tex] . Let C be the rectangle of width 2 and length 5 centered at (9, 9, 9) on the plane x + y + z = 27, oriented clockwise when viewed from the origin.

[tex] \int\limits_C \vec{F} d\vec{r} [/tex] ?
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've already computed the curl F and so now I need to solve the dA. What is the dA here?

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2009 #2
    anyone??

4. May 7, 2009 #3

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean F = (z - y)i + (x - z)j + (y - x)k? Also, please write out the question completely; don't make us guess. You did this in another recent thread too where you left out an important part of the question because you "didn't think it was relevant".

5. May 7, 2009 #4
    yes, sorry.. I've edited it now

6. May 7, 2009 #5

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should get a constant vector of length 2 for the curl. Did you? It is also perpendicular to the rectangle and pointing outwards, so the circulation is just 2(area of rectangle).

7. May 7, 2009 #6
    you mean [tex] \int\limits_C \vec{F} d\vec{r} = 20 [/tex] ?

8. May 7, 2009 #7

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

CFdr = 2 x (area of rectangle) = 2 x 10 = 20.

9. May 7, 2009 #8
    hmm.. the answer is wrong for some reason

10. May 7, 2009 #9

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oops, sorry. The magnitude of the curl is √(2² + 2² + 2²) = √12. So the circulation is (√12)(10).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook