1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stokes's Theorem

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the vector field [tex]\bold{E} = \bold{ \hat x} (xy) - \bold{ \hat y} (x^2 + 2y^2)[/tex], calculate the following:

[tex]\oint \bold{E} \cdot d\bold{l}[/tex] around the triangular contour shown.

I don't have a scanner at the moment so I will explain the drawing. The picture is a right triangle. They show an x and y axis. From (0, 0), there is a line going to (1, 0), then from there it goes up to (1, 1), then a diagonal back to (0, 0).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to approach it but I seem to be stuck. This is what I have so far:

I gave each coordinate a name: a (0, 0), b (1, 0), and c (1, 1).

[tex]\oint \bold{E} \cdot d\bold{l} = \oint_a^b \bold{E}_{ab} \cdot d\bold{l} + \oint_b^c \bold{E}_{bc} \cdot d\bold{l} + \oint_c^a \bold{E}_{ca} \cdot d\bold{l}[/tex]

At this point I'm stuck. Could someone please point me in the right direction?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2
    Your confusion probably lies in that you don't know what [tex]\vec{dl}[/tex] is. For example, for the integral from a to b, [tex]\vec{dl_{1}}=\hat{x}dl[/tex], whereas b to c it becomes [tex]\vect{dl_{2}}=\hat{y}dl[/tex]. Just work out the dot products, which are especially easy for a to b and b to c since either x or y is constant.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply. I have 2 questions:

1) Shouldn't the integral from a to b, be [tex]\oint_a^b \bold{E}_{ab} \cdot \hat x d\bold{l}[/tex] since ab is horizontal?

2) I'm not sure what to put for [tex]\bold{E}_{ab}[/tex]. Should it be the component that acts only in the direction of ab, in other words:

[tex]\oint_a^b \bold{ \hat x} (xy) \cdot \hat x d\bold{l}[/tex]

Am I in the right direction?
  5. Feb 16, 2008 #4
    Yes whoops you are right about 1). I will change it. And 2) yes you are right. Don't forget that y is a constant.
  6. Feb 16, 2008 #5
    Awsome. So now that I set it up, I have [tex]\oint_a^b xy d\bold{l}[/tex], but I don't know l, or am I missing something obvious?
  7. Feb 16, 2008 #6
    Remember that a is (0,0) and b is (1,0). [tex]dl[/tex] is simply dx in that particular case. The only tricky part is going to be c to a, where you're going to have to express all components of dl in terms of one variable to integrate over.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  8. Feb 16, 2008 #7

If the path is along the positive x axis, you must use [tex] d \vec{l} = dx \vec{i} [/tex]

and so on.

In general, [tex] d\vec{l} = dx \vec{i} + dy \vec{j} + dz \vec{k} [/tex]

If you have a parametrized curve, you replace all the variables in terms of the parameter and the integral is only over one variable,
  9. Feb 16, 2008 #8
    Alright I got it. Thanks for all the help guys.
  10. Feb 16, 2008 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you titled this "Stokes Theorem", are you also going to integrate -2x-2y over the triangular region and show that they are the same?
  11. Feb 18, 2008 #10
    Actually yes, and I'm stuck on that too.

Also, I thought I figured out how to finish the first part, but it's not working out.

Here's what I'm getting:

[tex]\oint \bold{E} \cdot d\bold{l} = \oint_0^1 xy dx + \oint_0^1 -x^2-2y^2 dy + \oint_c^a \bold{E}_{ca} \cdot d\bold{l}[/tex]
    but I don't know what to do with the last term. And when I integrate the first two terms, I get

which doesn't make sense, because the answer for the whole is -1. What should I do with the last term? Shouldn't it be:

[tex]\oint_0^1 (xy - x^2 +2y^2) dxdy[/tex]
  12. Feb 19, 2008 #11

Homework Helper

I got -1 for both methods. Did you get -1 for the line integral?
  13. Apr 20, 2009 #12
    this is a perfect question to use Green"s theorem. And the answer is -1. Stokes' theorem is just a generalized version of Green's th. and I don't see how that would be useful in this case. Also there is no need to do 3 integrations. Just convert the whole thing to a double integral using Green's theorem, integrate over the triangle and get -1
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?