Identifying a USB Through Packaging & Codes

• Thread starter loocary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb
In summary: If your going to test this on someone's USB stick you should at least tell them what you are going to do and why you are doing it before you start.
loocary
is there any way to tell if a USB is mine, through properties and stuff. I have the packaging and all the cods are written on it. some LK # and stuff. please help

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Probably not.

Next time scratch your initials on it.

I have never heard this technology. Your idea is so novel,maybe you can invent it by yourself.:tongue:

If WIn 7 there will probably be a GUID on the disk you can view with the "mountvol" command. I don't remember on a Windows system how to get a history of the GUID of the drives you have connected in the past, but they are probably in the registry.

If Linux it's trivial but need to know if you're using it or not before I dig up the man pages. :-)

Microsoft documenation for "mountvol": http://www.microsoft.com/resources/.../xp/all/proddocs/en-us/mountvol.mspx?mfr=true

Formatting won't change the UUID (at least not in Linux; Windows GUID is supposed to be the same as UUID but that's not a guarantee)

Is there any sticker on USB drive with numbers on it?. If there is numbers exist on the sticker you can compare those numbers with the numbers on the bill you received when you bought the USB drive.That way you can identify your drive.

You can use a program called PhotoRec and/or testdisc to retrieve all the previous data that had ever been stored on the USB stick to ensure it is yours, if your planning to just return it i can't help.

I have used this program a few times before, last time i used it on a 4gb flash drive, i retrieved 12gb worth of data it was a random one i had found in my house but it was empty, after getting all that data i found out who's it was, i returned it to them and they where a bit shocked that all that information was still on there from years and years ago.

If you want to protect your identity format often!

I tested this on a friends 2gb flash drive, found out their bank details, their work roster, their old address and new one, they where horrified. Very powerful tool i love it.

1. How do I identify the type of USB through packaging?

USB packaging typically has the USB logo, which consists of a trident shape with a capital "USB" label. It may also include a number, such as "2.0" or "3.0", indicating the version of the USB.

2. What do the different color codes on USB packaging mean?

The color codes on USB packaging usually indicate the speed of the USB connection. For example, blue indicates a USB 3.0 connection, while black or white indicates a USB 2.0 connection.

3. How can I tell if a USB is compatible with my device?

Check the packaging for any compatibility labels or symbols. USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible with USB 2.0 ports, but USB 2.0 devices will not work in USB 3.0 ports. Additionally, make sure the device you are connecting the USB to has a USB port that matches the shape of the USB connector.

4. Can I identify the storage capacity of a USB through its packaging?

Some USB packaging may list the storage capacity, but it is not a reliable way to determine the exact capacity. It is best to check the properties of the USB on a computer to determine its storage capacity.

5. Is it possible to identify the manufacturer of a USB through its packaging?

USB packaging may include the manufacturer's logo or name, but it is not always the case. The best way to determine the manufacturer is to check the properties of the USB on a computer or contact the seller for more information.