Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Stomach not emptying

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've been sure of this before, but now I have proof, so to speak. I ate a small mint yesterday afternoon. As always, I have stomach pain and abnormal distension. I ate the mint over 30 hours ago and I'm now burping up mint. I wondered before about my vagus nerve being damaged by my previous stomach surgery that set off the extreme pain and distension. I guess I need to call my gastroenterologist. :frown:

I'm just venting.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:frown: That sounds horrible...I feel so bad for you!

Yes it sounds like a trip to the GE doc is in order.

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

:cry:

5. Feb 16, 2012 #4
    Not good! I remember I once had a case of my stomach not emptying, but ended up being food poisoning... it did empty eventually...

6. Feb 16, 2012 #5

Evo

Yeah, it's called gastroparesis. Gah.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  7. Feb 17, 2012 #6

Evo

I spoke to the doctor's nurse today and she told me that it's not possible for food like mint to remain in the stomach more than a few hours. Ok, that means I'm delusional (not contesting that). (I also corrected dysphagia, which I also have, with gastroparesis, don't know what I was thinking).

Any opinions on how long food can stay in the stomach (aside from a bezoar). I know if food remains in the stomach for at least 12 hours it can indicate gastroparesis.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/487952-undigested-food-in-stomach/

http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastroparesis/

8. Feb 17, 2012 #7

Astronuc

Definitely see a GE. Not being able to empty the stomach is not good.

Tell the nurse you'd be happy to come over and throw up on her. :biggrin: :uhh:

I think food should be out after a few hours, certainly by 8 hrs.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Feb 18, 2012 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree about the candy not staying in the stomach long: the stomach could probably absorb most of it. I do wonder about the oils, it's not unimaginable that those stay in the stomach much longer.

10. Feb 18, 2012 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Stuff generally gets out of my upper GI tract in short order. Perhaps a good thing, given my tendency to eat really hot chilies. Everything else seems to be on an 8-10 hour schedule, though. YMMV. Given your medical history, it would be a really good idea for you to get in to see a doctor ASAP

11. Feb 18, 2012 #10

Evo

I ws thinking that the mint could have flavored the other food trapped in my stomach.

12. Feb 19, 2012 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it possible you eat while sleepwalking? It's not unheard of. Perhaps you ate a mint while sleeping?

13. Feb 19, 2012 #12

Evo

Nope there were three of them, 2 are left.

14. Feb 19, 2012 #13
    I am not a doctor, in fact biology makes me queasy. I had a problem for several months and they couldn't figure it out. My stomach wouldn't empty, I looked pregnant. Then my blood pressure started going through the roof. My physician told me there was nothing wrong except that I had high blood pressure. I argued that one doesn't just wake up one day with high blood pressure. 6 doctors later it turned out that I had a pyloric ulcer. The pylorus is the sphincter between the stomach and whatever comes after it. The sphincter was inflamed and not working properly so food couldn't pass out of the stomach into the intestines. 3 weeks of amoxycillin and prilosec and I was as good as new. Hope you feel better, it can be awful, even worse when the doctor thinks you're nuts.

15. Feb 19, 2012 #14

Evo

Thanks alan, I'm going to insist that they run some tests, this has been going on way too long.

16. Feb 20, 2012 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It may not be vagus nerve damage, though it's one consideration. Another is constriction of the pyloris or duodenum...you will have gastric emptying, but much slower than normal. If it's not emptying, they should be able to see where things are stoppering up with upper GI radiographs after swallowing barium (ooh, yummy!). It does seem odd that a mint would linger. It's mostly sugar and would dissolve easily.

17. Feb 20, 2012 #16

Evo

Can the taste linger? It was clearly mint. It wasn't until the second burp that I wondered where it came from, then remembered I ate a chocolate mint the day before. I'm taking a proton pump inhibitor, twice the recommended amount (per doctor's orders).

18. Feb 20, 2012 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe it mixed with other solids still in there. If you're not even getting liquids with dissolved sugars through, I'm surprised you didn't just vomit it up after sitting there so long.

19. Feb 20, 2012 #18

Evo

I vomit all of the time, the distension in my abdomen is so painful, I get full after a few bites, if I can eat at all. I usually can only eat once a day.

20. Feb 21, 2012 #19

rhody

Gold Member

Evo,

I just read your thread for the first time, with some good insight by others give and take with you, please see your gastroenterologist soon, and if you are not happy him/her, get a referral for another one. I am concerned for you. There isn't a time when I log on PF that your health it isn't the first or second thing on my mind.

Rhody... :uhh:

21. Feb 21, 2012 #20

Evo

I have a new gastroenterologist, he's ordered a bunch of tests, I forgot to tell him about my stomach not emptying. I mentioned this to his nurse when she happened to call me. She's anti-mint. :frown:

I guess I should also mention that 3 doctors have agreed that my nissen fundoplication over 3 years ago was botched and is causing my problems. Unfortunately they all agree that surgery to repair the damage is too dangerous. I've been told that the surgery is so risky that only a surgeon that specializes in this surgery can perform it, and if you don't die, it's unlikely to help, so no one will recommend it.

Great. So that's were I am, victim of a botched surgery with a ton of problems. So they are looking at individual symptoms to provide relief, but not very hard. I think this new doctor will take things farther.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook