How can I make a stone jump out of water?

• Thread starter ngkamsengpeter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jump Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of a stone skipping on water due to surface tension. The speaker is curious about the necessary speed and angle for the stone to successfully skip on water, as well as the value of surface tension. They mention an article published in the American Journal of Physics, which states that an angle of 20 degrees, a speed of 12 m/s, and a rotational speed of 14 rev/sec are necessary for the stone to skip on water. However, the speaker also mentions that the surface tension may not be the sole cause of this phenomenon and that the conversation is over 5 years old.
ngkamsengpeter
I have seen many of these phenomenon before that is when someone throw a stone to the water , the stone can jump out of water for several times before it drop to the water . I know it is due to surface tension of water .How do I know that what speed and what angle I need to throw the stone in order for it to jump from the water and what is the value of surface tension of water ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
it is found that, a angle of 20 degree between the stone nd water,
a speed of 12 m/s
a rotational speed of 14 rev/sec of the stone, is necessary to jump on water..

ngkamsengpeter said:
I have seen many of these phenomenon before that is when someone throw a stone to the water , the stone can jump out of water for several times before it drop to the water . I know it is due to surface tension of water .How do I know that what speed and what angle I need to throw the stone in order for it to jump from the water and what is the value of surface tension of water ?

That is not true, it is not because of the surface tension.

This thread is over 5 years old.

1. How does a stone jump out of water?

A stone jumps out of water due to a phenomenon called buoyancy. When an object is placed in water, it experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the water it displaces. If the weight of the object is less than the weight of the water it displaces, it will float and can jump out of the water.

2. Why do some stones sink while others jump out of water?

The density of the stone determines whether it will sink or float. If the density of the stone is greater than the density of water, it will sink. But if the density is less than water, it will float and can jump out of the water due to the buoyancy force.

3. Can any type of stone jump out of water?

Yes, any type of stone can jump out of water as long as it is less dense than water. For example, even a large boulder can jump out of water if it is made of porous material with a low density, such as pumice stone.

4. Is there a limit to how high a stone can jump out of water?

Yes, the height to which a stone can jump out of water depends on its shape, size, and density. The larger the stone, the more force it will exert on the water, allowing it to jump higher. However, once the upward buoyancy force is exceeded, the stone will stop rising and fall back into the water.

5. How does surface tension affect a stone jumping out of water?

Surface tension is the cohesive force between water molecules at the surface. This force can prevent smaller, lighter stones from jumping out of water because the water molecules will cling to the stone's surface and not let it break through the surface tension. However, larger and heavier stones can overcome this force and jump out of water.