1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stone resting on a spring

1. Oct 13, 2004 #1
    I got parts a and b but am having trouble getting part c and d. can someone please help me? thanks in advance!

Figure 8-40 shows an 8.00 kg stone resting on a spring. The spring is compressed 8.0 cm by the stone.

Fig. 8-40

(a) What is the spring constant?
    9.8 N/cm by mg/x(compression)

(b) The stone is pushed down an additional 30.0 cm and released. What is the elastic potential energy of the compressed spring just before that release?
    70.8 J by convert A to N/m then convert compression to m and then use .5kx^2 to get the answer

(c) What is the change in the gravitational potential energy of the stone-Earth system when the stone moves from the release point to its maximum height?
    J gravitational potential energy is mgy but i don't know y

(d) What is that maximum height, measured from the release point?
    m y=(.5mv^2)/mg I know i have to use this eqn. but i don't know v.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2004 #2
    parts c) and d)

(c) What is the change in the gravitational potential energy of the stone-Earth system when the stone moves from the release point to its maximum height?
    *** as you said, J gravitational potential energy is mgy but i don't know y, but from conservation of energy you know that dU = EPinitial (see answer B)...

(d) What is that maximum height, measured from the release point?
    m y=(.5mv^2)/mg I know i have to use this eqn. but i don't know v.

** actually you don't have to use this equation.... we know dU = mg dy = EPinitial.... and now you can solve for height..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?