1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stone thrown down a pit

1. Jun 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A rock is dropped down a deep pit. The sound of its impact with the floor is heard after T seconds.
    The speed of sound is a given, V.

Prove that the depth of the pit is:
    [tex]H=\frac{(\sqrt{V^{2}+2gVT}-V)^{2}}{2g}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Kinematic equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    T is the time it takes for two motions to transpire. The first is the stone falling, [tex]t_1[/tex]. The second, is the sound traveling back up, [tex]t_2[/tex].

[tex]T=t_1+t_2[/tex]

For the falling rock:
    [tex]y(t)=H-\frac{g}{2}t^{2}[/tex]
    [tex]y(t_1)=0[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{g}{2}t_1^{2}=H[/tex]
    [tex]t_1=\sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}}[/tex]

For the wave of sound:
    [tex]y(t)=Vt[/tex]
    [tex]y(t_2)=H[/tex]
    [tex]Vt_2=H[/tex]
    [tex]t_2=\frac{H}{V}[/tex]

[tex]T=\sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}}+\frac{H}{V}[/tex]

Now all that remains, so it would seem, is to extract H, since we have one equation with just one variable, since T,V and g are all given.

[tex]T-\frac{H}{V}=\sqrt{\frac{2H}{g}}[/tex]
    [tex]T^{2}-\frac{2TH}{V}+\frac{H^{2}}{V^{2}}=\frac{2H}{g}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{T^{2}V^{2}g}{V^{2}g}-\frac{2TVgH}{V^{2}g}+\frac{gH^{2}}{gV^{2}}=\frac{2V^{2}H}{gV^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]T^{2}V^{2}g-2TVgH+gH^{2}=2V^{2}H[/tex]

[tex]gH^{2}-(2TVg+2V^{2})H+T^{2}V^{2}g=0[/tex]
    [tex]H=\frac{2TVg+2V^{2}+\sqrt{(2TVg+2V^{2})^{2}-4T^{2}V^{2}g^{2}}}{2g}[/tex]

And from here, the algebraic manipulation eludes me. Have I made a mistake somewhere along the way? I was thinking about completing the square or some other nonsense, but the coefficient of 2 before [tex]V^{2}[/tex] looks like it's gonna be a problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If you set a pseudo-variable

x = H1/2

You can say that you have a quadratic in x ...

1/V*x2 + √(2/g) * x - T = 0

Then square the resulting solution.

I haven't done it, but I'd say a cursory inspection suggests a similar result to where you are.

4. Jun 29, 2009 #3

diazona

Homework Helper

No you haven't made a mistake, and you've got just a few small algebraic steps left. Try expanding the [itex](2TVg + 2V^2)^2[/itex] under the square root.

If you're still stuck, try working backwards: starting from the solution you're supposed to end up with, expand [itex](\sqrt{V^2 + 2gVT} - V)^2[/itex] and see if you can convince yourself that it's the same as what you got.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook