Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoner surge model

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know where to find detailed equations on the advantica/stoner water hammer surge model. The client my company is working for has hired advantica to do these water hammer cases for heavy crude and they have produced a report that makes recommendations that effect our P&ID's. I would just like to have a better understanding of what they are doing, the stamping PE is going to cloud there recommended items on the P&ID and disclaimer that he is not responsible but advantica is. When I talked to them all I got was that the stoner model was different than the method of characterization. I have looked up water hammer in perrys and bought the 2 books (fluid transients and symposium on water hammer from 1933) that were cited under the abbreviated water hammer equation in perrys. I have not had a ton of time to go throught these 2 books yet but I did notice the books went into the method of characterization but I did not see to much on the stoner method. I also learned that the stoner model was more of a finite element analysis and the method of characterization was an exact solution but only applied to simple systems.
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted