Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stoping light or atleast slowing it down

1. Jul 31, 2003 #1
    i cant remember where i read this but it was an artical about stoping light or atleast slowing it down i cant find anyother information on it and i was wondering if any of you knew where i could find some

thanks

bleh

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2003 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

I recall a Topic in PF-2.0 that was entitled: "HELP! How Did They Get Light To Stand Still?!", or words to that effect. I'll dig out my disk (which sounds really painfull, but I'll be OK) and see if that Topic contained a link.

4. Jul 31, 2003 #3
  5. Aug 8, 2003 #4
    I remember reading an article in Scientific American magazine about some scientists slowing down a beam of light. I can't remember which issue it is exactly, but I know it was from a few months ago. :wink:

6. Aug 18, 2003 #5
    Yes, in fact, there was a article in scientific american's Physics Special Edition. About how a team from MIT actually froze light (photons. Very clever.

7. Aug 18, 2003 #6
    Didnt they use the Bose-Einstein condensate for that?

8. Aug 24, 2003 #7
    I caN't believe it can be done. It's basically ignoring the theory of relativity, as it is based on the constant of the speed of light!

As far as I know, you can only change its frequency, like red-shift or blue-shift it, which is what gravitation does.

9. Aug 24, 2003 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can also absorb it.

10. Aug 24, 2003 #9
    Which is exactly what they did. They essentially froze the light's wave-front into a steady state of some atom condensate if I recall correctly.

And tails, Relativity says all observes in any reference frame will regard the speed of light in vacuum to be the same. Slowing down light by altering the medium in which it progresses is not contradicting relativity in any way, shape or form.

11. Aug 24, 2003 #10
    Oh. So it's NOT slowing the light down really, is it...

12. Aug 24, 2003 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right!

They're slowing the group velocity of the wave, not the individual photons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?