1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stopping a bullet

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A .22 rifle bullet, traveling at 357 m/s, strikes a block of soft wood, which it penetrates to a depth of 0.131 m. The block of wood is clamped in place and doesn't move. The mass of the bullet is 1.65 g. Assume a constant retarding force.

What is the average speed of the bullet while it is being stopped by the wood?

2. Relevant equations

F=m(a)
    V=d/t
    d=x_o + V_o*(t) + 1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought the average speed while it is beings stopped would just be the 357 m/s but its not :(

any help on how to find this? i dont really like the wording of this question. it's kind of confusing to me.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    Since the retarding force is constant, the deceleration is constant as well. What is the average speed for a constant acceleration (deceleration)? (357 m/s would definitely not be the average speed. That is the initial speed, while the final speed is 0 m/s)

Also, note that:

[tex]
    \vec{F}t=\Delta \vec{p}
    [/tex]

where [tex]\vec{p}[/tex] is momentum.

4. Feb 6, 2010 #3
    So i found the time using the equation:
    [itex]
    d = \frac{V_i + V_f}{2)} * t
    [/itex]
    0.131 = 357/2 * t

t=0.00073389 seconds

then i found the speed using the equation:

speed = distance/t

speed = 0.131/0.00073389

speed = 178.5 m/s

Does this look correct?

Thank you

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  5. Feb 6, 2010 #4
    Yep. Looks fine.

You could've solved it a bit quicker though. For constant acceleration:

[tex]
    d = v_{avg}t
    [/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook