1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stopping distance of a car?

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

While traveling on the highway with your 1000kg car, at 115.2 km/h, where you’re ABS (automatic

braking system) is disabled. This means braking is relying solely on the friction of your tires with the road when they stop spinning. A dear jumps into the road 50 meters in front of you. If the frictional force created by you slamming on your brakes is 4000N. What will your final stopping distance be? Will you

hit the dear? Assume no air resistance.

2. Relevant equations

Kinematics?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Sum of Forces in The X direction
    (Force O' Car) - (Force O' Friction) = -ma

I solved for acceleration and got -5.8 m/s^2
    plugging these into the kinematics equation I got a time... 5.52 seconds
    plugging that into the Xf = Xo + Vox t + 1/2 a t^2 I got a distance which is wrong

what gives? what am i doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Your acceleration is wrong. Please show your calculation steps so we can provide more targeted assistance.

4. Sep 15, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

5. Sep 15, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When someone tells you, "Be a dear," they don't mean for you to drop down on all fours while wearing a hat rack on your head. :rolleyes:

"Deer" is the animal which jumps out in front of the car. :wink:

6. Sep 15, 2015 #5
    Ok... So I am not able to get to the same acceleartion I was getting before so now I'm really confused

Since the only thing acting on the car when its stopping is the breaking force would it be

Sum Fx = -Fbrakes = ma ?

7. Sep 15, 2015 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

That's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted