Stopping Distance with Vi and Coefficient of friction.

In summary, if the coefficient of friction between road and tires on a rainy day is 0.13, the car will stop at a minimum distance of 1 mile.
kitenyos

Homework Statement

A car is traveling at 66.9 mi/h on a horizontal highway.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .
If the coefficient of friction between road and tires on a rainy day is 0.13, what is the minimum distance in which the car will stop? (1 mi = 1.609)
Answer in units of m.
Vi=29.9m/s
mu=.13
Vf=0m/s

Homework Equations

Ff=(Fn)(mu)

The Attempt at a Solution

There is no mass so i cannot calculate the normal force and i cannot calculate the Ff. At first I thought this problem was impossible because of lack of information but i did some research and all i could find is that "the mass cancels out". I do not understand this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the complete formulas without plugging in the numbers.
Then see you don't need the mass.

If you still can't get it, decide yourself a mass (eg. 1000kg) then try another mass to see if the result changes.

Which formulas? The Ff=(FN)(mu) ?

The complete formula/s !
Then what do you do with Ff ?

Well i plugged in 1000kg for mass and got 9800N for normal force so Ff=1274N. Not i need to figure out what to do with Ff. If the mass is 1000kg then it is raveling with a force of 29900N (F=MV). So there is 29900N forcer going forward and a 1275.3N Force of friction. I do not know what i do from here.

F=MV ?
Really ? Force = mass x velocity ?

No it doesn't i was wrong. F=mass x acceleration. Acceleration is 0 because it is a constant velocity. So wouldn't that mean that force=0 because 1000kg x 0= 0. So then wouldn't there only be force of friction?

Yes, and friction is slowly stopping the car. How long does it take ?

What is the formula for that. This is just a guess. T=A/Ff? So T=29900/1274? T=23.47s? And then i used the kinematics equation DeltaX= vf+vi/2 x t and got 350.88 m

Yes this is correct. Thank you very much!

1. What is stopping distance?

Stopping distance refers to the distance that a moving object, such as a car, travels after the brakes are applied until it comes to a complete stop.

2. How is stopping distance calculated?

Stopping distance can be calculated using the formula: stopping distance = initial velocity (Vi) * reaction time + (Vi^2 / 2 * coefficient of friction * acceleration due to gravity).

3. What is Vi?

Vi, also known as initial velocity, is the initial speed of a moving object before the brakes are applied. It is an important factor in calculating stopping distance.

4. What is coefficient of friction?

Coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In the context of stopping distance, it is used to determine the force needed to bring a moving object to a stop.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect stopping distance?

The higher the coefficient of friction, the greater the friction force between the tires and the road, resulting in a shorter stopping distance. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of friction will result in a longer stopping distance.