1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stopping distance

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The maximum straight-line deceleration of a racing car under braking is 5 m s-2. What is the minimum stopping distance of the car from a velocity of 108 km h-1?

2. Relevant equations

½ V x t

3. The attempt at a solution

V = 108km/h=30m/s

t = 30/ 5 = 6 m s-2

½ V x t = ½ x 30 x 6 = 90

Answer: Distance = 90 m

I found this formula ½ V x t (to determine stopping distance) on the internet, but im not sure if its correct.

Are there any mistakes?

Thank You

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2
    It seems like your formula for distance is the average distance travelled in a given time for an object moving at constant speed. I would Instead try the formula:
    vf 2 = vo 2 + 2 a [tex]\Delta[/tex] x

Note that you are decelerating so the plus in front of the 2 is actually a minus here.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. Aug 24, 2010 #3
    so: vf = 30 m/s -2 x 5 m/s...
    what is this delta x? sorry, haven't slept this night at all, feeling a bit dizzy now:/

5. Aug 24, 2010 #4
    Sorry, delta x here stands for the change in position of the car.

Basically, how far it goes in stopping.

Edit: Sorry I'm without a calculator so I hadn't noticed but this gives the same answer you already had.

6. Aug 24, 2010 #5
    90 meters?

7. Aug 24, 2010 #6
    Yes, 90 meters. Aside from the units in your 't', everything seems to be in order.

8. Aug 24, 2010 #7
    Thank you.

By the way, whats wrong with t?

9. Aug 24, 2010 #8
    Units: I'm a little mixed up by your scheme but it looks like you have t (time) in meters per second per second, instead of just seconds.

10. Aug 24, 2010 #9
    Oh seriously... I fixed that. Thanks again:)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook