Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Stopping human's brain

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1
    I'm wondering whether heavy electromagnetic stimulations of neurons can cause our brain to stop working at all, in sense that all the neurons stop receiving the messages from any other. Are there any known hypothesis how our brain could be possibly made during an evolution? And Does the brain, working upon the electric field connect us in some way into the deep roots of the universe?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2006 #2

This is called transcranial magnetic stimulation, and I don't know if you can stop neurons from working, but intense magnetic fields have been walked about before. How much space is between an NMR magnet and navigable space?
  4. Apr 30, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you stop all neurons from signalling each other, you've just killed the person...lack of all neuronal activity would mean brain death.
  5. Apr 30, 2006 #4
    MRI imaging of the brain does not affect the brain's functionality. Magnetic Resonance Imaging uses powerful electric magnets to create images of the brain. To my knowledge, there haven't been any reported side-affects of MRI or FMRI (Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging).

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_imaging

Fruit flies like a banana. Time flies like an arrow.
  6. May 1, 2006 #5

Not to be confused with nuclear magnetic resonance magnetic field generation techniques. NMR magnets are the strongest on Earth produced so far, with the record right now being 4-5 Tesla. Wow. strong.
  7. May 1, 2006 #6

Oh, MRI utilizes NMR.
  8. May 1, 2006 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually labs get up to 40T+ sustained, and 850+ pulsed.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?