Stopping Potential in Photoelectric Effect Experiment

• Thread starter Molar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary: And this is what is being measured in the photoelectric effect experiment - the stopping potential at which the photoelectrons are just able to reach the anode. In summary, the stopping potential in the photoelectric effect experiment needs to be more negative than the potential of the cathode plate in order to stop the current. If the potentials are equal, there will be no potential difference and the current will continue to flow. The stopping potential needs to be negative enough to repel even the fastest electrons and be lower than the potential of the plate. The kinetic energy of the photoelectrons will be dissipated in the resistance of the connecting wire and components. Additionally, when using an insulated photoelectron emitter, an equilibrium state is reached when the space charge
Molar
In the photoelectric effect experiment..it says - the stopping potential should be more negative (-V) than the cathode plate to stop the current...but
i) should not it be equal to the potential of the cathode plate...?? i mean if it is equal, the there would be no potential difference between the plate and currrent flow should stop...and the electron flow would stop..

Physics news on Phys.org
The Potential you need has to be negative enough with respect to the photo-electrode to repel even the fasted electrons. That means it has to be lower than the plate potential. If the potentials are equal (your suggestion) then electrons will find themselves on the 'catcher' and they will not return across the gap but find their way round the circuit because that's the 'easiest path'.
The Kinetic Energy from the photo electrons will actually be dissipated in the resistance of the connecting wire and components.

Likes Molar
ohh thanks for helping...

Initially, I was going to leave it as it is, since the OP appears to "understand" the answer that was given. However, I still think that what was written is rather unclear, and a couple of important points might have been missed here.

1. The cathode is usually grounded, so it is at zero potential. So making the anode to be at the same potential as the cathode means that everything is grounded.

2. The photoelectrons are "born" with a range of kinetic energy, i.e. they are already moving! If everything is at the same potential, there will be nothing to stop these electrons from reaching all parts of the system, including the anode, and thus, registering a current. So how would this be the "stopping potential"?

Zz.

Likes Molar
Thanks for your explanation ZapperZ.

I have another question..if I apply stopping potential..the electrons emitted from cathode stops "reaching" anode...but still they are generating from cathode...right...?? So,what happens...??
They are just emitted from the surface and become motionless ??

Last edited:
Molar said:
Thanks for your explanation ZapperZ.

I have another question..if I apply stopping potential..the electrons emitted from cathode stops "reaching" anode...but still they are generating from cathode...right...?? So,what happens...??
They are just emitted from the surface and become motionless ??

They get pushed away from the anode. Where they end up depends on their initial directions and energies. They don't become motionless. Remember, there is an external field due to the anode being at a certain potential. So these electrons can't just sit there.

Zz.

Likes Molar
If you put an insulated plate next to the photoelectron emitter, the photoelectrons will accumulate on that plate, making its potential more and more negative (wrt the emitter) when the potential reaches a 'stopping potential', electrons will not hit the plate (repelled) and may just return to the emitter plate. that's ok but there is no way of telling when this condition has been reached and measuring a zero current using a variable bias potential will tell you when it has.
Same 'automatic' thing happens for an insulated photo electron emitter. Electrons are kicked off, leaving the emitter with a positive potential. Eventually, an equilibrium condition will be reached when the space charge, around the emitter reaches a maximum value.

Likes Molar
sophiecentaur said:
Eventually, an equilibrium condition will be reached when the space charge, around the emitter reaches a maximum value.

As long as the incident photons have the sufficient energy,electron will come out. Now they cannot go near the insulated plate. So the electrons come back to the emitter (positive potetial). That means both emission and recombination goes on simultaneouly at a constant rate and thus space charge reaches the maximum value...?

Molar said:
As long as the incident photons have the sufficient energy,electron will come out. Now they cannot go near the insulated plate. So the electrons come back to the emitter (positive potetial). That means both emission and recombination goes on simultaneouly at a constant rate and thus space charge reaches the maximum value...?

I've done photoemission experiments on insulators, and so have others if one judges by the number of papers published on this. There are ways to minimize such charging effects, depending on the nature of the insulator. I suggest you not follow or extend this line of discussion. The introduction of insulators in all of this is an unnecessary complication, and from what I can tell already, it is distracting you from understanding the straightfoward physics in a standard and simple photoelectric effect experiment.

Zz.

Likes Molar
Molar said:
Yes. That will be the equilibrium state.

Likes Molar

1. What is the photoelectric effect experiment and how does it relate to stopping potential?

The photoelectric effect experiment is a phenomenon where light shone on a metal surface causes the emission of electrons. The stopping potential refers to the minimum potential difference required to stop the emission of electrons in the photoelectric effect experiment. In other words, it is the minimum amount of energy needed to overcome the attraction between the electrons and the metal surface.

2. How is the stopping potential determined in the photoelectric effect experiment?

The stopping potential can be determined by gradually increasing the potential difference between the cathode and anode until the emission of electrons stops. This value is then recorded as the stopping potential.

3. What factors affect the stopping potential in the photoelectric effect experiment?

The stopping potential can be affected by the intensity of the incident light, the type of metal used, and the frequency of the incident light. Higher intensities and frequencies of light will require a higher stopping potential, while different types of metal may have different stopping potentials.

4. How does the stopping potential in the photoelectric effect experiment support the particle theory of light?

The particle theory of light states that light is made up of discrete particles called photons. In the photoelectric effect experiment, the stopping potential is directly proportional to the frequency of the incident light. This supports the particle theory of light, as higher frequency light contains more energy, and therefore requires a higher stopping potential to overcome the attractive forces between the electrons and the metal surface.

5. How does the stopping potential in the photoelectric effect experiment relate to the work function of a metal?

The work function of a metal is the minimum amount of energy needed to remove an electron from the surface of the metal. The stopping potential in the photoelectric effect experiment is directly related to the work function, as it is the minimum potential difference needed to stop the emission of electrons. In fact, the stopping potential is equal to the work function divided by the charge of an electron. This relationship is known as the Einstein relation.