• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Stopping the silly errors

• Thread starter trollcast
  • Start date
trollcast
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Just wondering what anyone thinks is a good way to try and stop the silly mistakes I keep making that could become a major hinderance next year for my a levels. (Some A Levels have silly grade boundaries and the top boundary can be ~95%, which for a paper out of a total of 75 marks isn't a lot.)

Its not that I don't understand the material, I normally can do the hardest exercises without a problem, its just stupid errors that usually pull me down.

Just a case of doing more practice with some of the easier questions to get my technique down for the different types of questions?

Thanks
AL

Answers and Replies

Yep, I have the same problem, especially when it comes to combinatorics.

What I tend to do (though this comes naturally to me for some reason) is to effectively double-check each step that I have the slightest lack of confidence about right after I do it, basically redoing it.

I just scan over the problems after I answer them all, to make sure there are no obvious errors.

Yes, check the entire answer until you're sure that it makes sense and you haven't made any obvious errors. Then it should be correct.

I have the same problem. I find if I just double-check it I tend to miss the error unless it is an obvious one. However if I have time (for example in coursework not exams) I repeat the problem a couple of times, an hour or so apart. The 3rd one is usually trustworthy.