1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stopping voltage.

1. May 29, 2006 #1
    In a photoelecric experiment in which a sodium surface is used, you find a stopping potential of 1.85V for a wavelength of 300nm, and a stopping potential of 0.820V for a wavelength of 400nm. From these data find (a) a value for the Planck constant, (b) the work function for sodium, and (c) the cutoff wavelength for sodium.
    I tried solving (a) by stating the following
    E=nh*f
    h=E/f
    h=E/(c/Lambda)
    h=e*lamba/c ( i let n = 1)
    And we know that K_max=e*delta V, where e is the Elementary charge, and DeltaV is the stopping potential.
    I assumed that all the Energy is transffered to K_MAX
    thus,
    H=e*deltaV*lambda/C
    The units end up working out, but the solution is wrong.
    Anyone know what am i messing up on?
    The rest of the question, i believe i can get once I solve this correctly

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well you're assumption was incorrect. There is a certain energy called the work function that has to be overcome before an electron can be ejected.

[tex]E_{photon} = K + \phi [/tex]

You can manipulate this equation to determine the equation for the kinetic energy of an ejected electron and it follows the form y=mx+b. The m will be your slope and it will actually be planck's constant

4. May 29, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

m will be the slope...when x represents the frequency and y represents the KE (stopping potential * e).

Alternatively, using the formula provided by Pengwuino for each of the two events you end up with 2 equations in 2 unknowns (h and [itex]\phi[/itex]). You know how to solve that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?