Storage in Incubator: How Long Can Cells Be Stored?

• Thread starter Goodie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Storage
In summary, it is recommended to keep the cell culture going in the incubator if it will only be stored for a few days. The frequency of changing the medium depends on the cell type and its metabolic activity. In case of not having frozen stocks, it is advisable to freeze some cells for future use. Keeping track of the passage number can also help in controlling potential variations in the cell line.
Goodie
i wonder how long can i store my cells in incubator if i don't need the cells right away, but in coming days? should i change the medium regularly when i store the cells in the incubator instead of freezing? or do i have to freeze down the cells immediately and thaw them when i need them?

appreciate for all help.

Biology news on Phys.org
Goodie said:
i wonder how long can i store my cells in incubator if i don't need the cells right away, but in coming days? should i change the medium regularly when i store the cells in the incubator instead of freezing?

If it's days you are considering, it's probably best to keep the culture going in the incubator. Split the cultures at a dilution that will allow them to achieve the density you desire on or near the day you plan to use them.

As far as feeding, it usually depends on the cell type, which dictates how metabolically active they are. As an example of cells I've maintained, PC12 cells (from a pheochromocytoma) require feeding every other day, but Hepa 1C1C7 cells (mouse liver) can go about four days between feedings. The state of the culture can also determine how often you feed, thus a fully confluent monolayer might require more frequent feedings than a very lightly populated flask that was just seeded. If you can't find the information on your specific cell type in the literature, your best bet would be to include phenol red in your medium. This indicator will turn from ~cherry red to yellow as the cells metabolize and cast off acidic waste products. If the medium starts to look yellow, it's best to do a medium change.

Goodie said:
do i have to freeze down the cells immediately and thaw them when i need them?

Having said this, if you don't already have a good supply of frozen stocks to work from, it would be best for you to freeze some away for future use, you never know when your cultures might get contaminated and require starting over. Another thing to consider is the passage number, or how many times you have split the cells. Sometimes certain characteristics in a cell line can change as they "age" so keeping track of the passages can aid in limiting/controlling this potential variation. Many researchers will describe passage number used for their experiments so that others are aware of the state of the cells.
appreciate for all help.

Thanks alot. :smile:

1. How long can cells be stored in an incubator?

The length of time cells can be stored in an incubator depends on the type of cells and the storage conditions. Generally, cells can be stored for a few days to several weeks in an incubator.

2. What factors affect the storage time of cells in an incubator?

The storage time of cells in an incubator can be affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, nutrient availability, and the type of medium used. It is important to optimize these conditions for the specific type of cells being stored.

3. Can cells be stored for longer periods of time in an incubator?

Yes, it is possible to store cells for longer periods of time in an incubator by using specialized techniques such as cryopreservation or adding specific supplements to the medium. However, the storage time will still depend on the type of cells and the conditions in the incubator.

4. Are there any risks associated with storing cells in an incubator for extended periods of time?

Storing cells in an incubator for extended periods of time can increase the risk of contamination and cell death. It is important to regularly check and maintain the incubator to ensure proper conditions for cell storage.

5. How can I determine if my cells are still viable after storage in an incubator?

To determine if your cells are still viable after storage in an incubator, you can perform viability assays such as trypan blue staining or flow cytometry. These tests will assess the number of viable cells in a sample and can indicate if the storage conditions were suitable for the cells.