Storage time of a transistor

In summary, Monsurat is asking why the storage time of a transistor changes when the position of a resistor is changed. During an experiment, the storage time increased when the resistor connected to the base voltage was reconnected to the ground. Multiple answers are requested and the original circuit was a common emitter configuration.
Monsu
hi,
could anyone pls tell me why the storage time of a transistor changes as u change the position of one resistor?
During an experiment, when the resistor connected to the base voltage was reconnected to the ground i noticed that the storage time increased. pls someone explain to me why.
thanks!

(i'd appreciate multiple answers, so pls if smne has answered, pls feel free to drop your own answers too.)

Monsu

I'm not sure what you mean by "storage time," as this is not a parameter I've ever heard of. Can you please try describing your question in more standard terminology?

- Warren

the storage time is the time needed for minority carrier concentration in the vincinity of pn junction to be reduced to zero

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Transistors are current controlled devices. By placing a resistor to ground you may have reduced the current at the transistor base. I can't say this for sure because I don't know your original configuration. Did you monitor or calculate the base current during your experiment?

all I did was measure the storage time, delay time, rise time and fall time. I didn't do anything with the current.
pls help!
totally confused!
Monsurat.

You said you moved a resistor. By moving a resistor you most likely altered the current to the transistor base. How was your transistor circuit originally configured-- common base, commone emitter or common collector? Do you have a drawing of the original circuit and the altered circuit?

it was a common emitter configuration.
here 's a diagram.

Attachments

• transistor set up.JPG
    transistor set up.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 601

1. How long can a transistor be stored before it becomes unusable?

The storage time of a transistor depends on various factors such as the type of material used, storage conditions, and frequency of use. Generally, a transistor can be stored for several years before it starts to degrade, but it is recommended to use it within 1-2 years for optimal performance.

2. Can a transistor be stored for an indefinite amount of time?

No, a transistor cannot be stored indefinitely. As with any electronic component, it will eventually degrade and become unusable. It is important to use and replace transistors periodically to ensure proper functioning of electronic devices.

3. How should a transistor be stored to prolong its lifespan?

Transistors should be stored in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and extreme temperatures. Avoid exposing them to moisture as it can cause corrosion and damage the internal components. It is also recommended to store transistors in their original packaging or in anti-static bags to prevent static electricity damage.

4. Can the storage time of a transistor be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as humidity, temperature fluctuations, and exposure to chemicals or radiation can affect the storage time of a transistor. It is important to store transistors in a controlled environment to minimize the impact of these factors.

5. Is there a way to extend the storage time of a transistor?

There is no guaranteed way to extend the storage time of a transistor, but proper storage and handling can help prolong its lifespan. Regularly testing and using the transistor can also help prevent it from deteriorating due to lack of use. Ultimately, it is best to replace old transistors with new ones for optimal performance.