Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Storage Website

1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    Hi All,

I want to create a website which only I can access, so that I can stor my files on.

When I upload my files, and click on them, they automatically open (for example, a music file loads in quicktime through firefox and plays). I want it so that it offers me to download the file, not stream it. Does anyone know how to do that?

Also, I have a lot of files I will be uploading, is there a way to get it so that it's like a database, so you can search? Or possibly click through the folders like looking at a file system on your computer?

Any help appreciated,

Jared James

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

Why would you want a website to do this when most modern operating systems have network file systems?

There are lots of products that do what you're asking, but they are generally for collaboration not individual use. (Microsoft SharePoint for example)

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You could:

1) Create your own website.
    2) Create an FTP site.
    3) Use one of various websites that already offer such services.
    4) Consider a tool like http://www.viksoe.dk/code/gmail.htm

- Warren

5. Sep 30, 2009 #4
    Thanks Warren, for giving me the options I already know.

1. I am trying to.

2. I would like to have easy navigation so using solely ftp isn't an option.

3. I refuse to pay £90 a year to some site to hold my files, I tried a few out but they didn't work as I wanted.

4. I tried the gmail thing and wasn't impressed with it.

Please could we stick to the questions given, I know I sound a bit short fused but this is the fourth website I have been to regarding this and so far everyone argues why I shouldn't do it and doesn't answer the questions I ask. I don't want people to tell me why I shouldn't do it, or give me other options.

When I upload my files, and click on them, they automatically open (for example, a music file loads in quicktime through firefox and plays). I want it so that it offers me to download the file, not stream it. Does anyone know how to do that?

Also, I have a lot of files I will be uploading, is there a way to get it so that it's like a database, so you can search? Or possibly click through the folders like looking at a file system on your computer?

6. Sep 30, 2009 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

That's a browser issue. I have Firefox set up so that (for example) when I click on a link to a PDF file, it always saves it. Go to Preferences and choose the Applications tab.

7. Sep 30, 2009 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps you're getting frustrated because you aren't actually trying the suggestions that have been made.

The Windows Explorer supports FTP sites, so you can browse and navigate through your files exactly like a local filesystem. You can have folders, you can search, and you can drag-and-drop files back and forth to copy them.

If this is all the feedback you're willing to give, then we certainly can't help you.

- Warren

8. Sep 30, 2009 #7
    Perhaps you didn't read/understand my above post. I have tried your suggestions.
    1. I'm trying to make a website.
    3. I tried a number of online storage services, and for the price I paid, they didn't work as I wanted them to.
    4. I wasn't impressed with the gmail service. I'm not sure what more you want me to say, I didn't like it, so I have no intention of using it.

Like I said, I'm not looking for suggestions, just answers to my questions.

9. Sep 30, 2009 #8
    Any other website simply requests whether or not I want to download the file or open it. However these files simply go to a blank page with quicktime in the middle and then play the song.

10. Sep 30, 2009 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, you didn't say why you didn't like the gmail service, or why it doesn't meet your needs or why you don't want to use it.

In any event, it sounds like you ought to run or buy space on an FTP server, then use it with Windows Explorer.

- Warren

11. Sep 30, 2009 #10
  12. Sep 30, 2009 #11
    I mean, I have a website, I will upload files to it, I want people to be able to enter a username and password on the site and then have access to the files, viewable in a file browser style. Something like: http://www.webfileviewer.com/#main [Broken].

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  13. Sep 30, 2009 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So.... you already have webspace, and know how to upload files to it. You already have a running FTP server then?

- Warren

14. Sep 30, 2009 #13
    Yes. But I want to make it user friendly. I am quite content with using the ftp folder trees, but my family and friends arent quite so savvy and so I want to make it nice and simple for them. The example above, is pretty much what I want, but I would prefer to have the ability to switch between views (list, details, folder, etc.).

15. Sep 30, 2009 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

16. Sep 30, 2009 #15
    That's the sort of thing I'm after, been searching for ages and didn't find any of these.

Thanks, I will see if they fit.

17. Sep 30, 2009 #16
    I highly recommend http://www.getdropbox.com/

For other reasons, than the ones you are after. But it should satisfy your needs.

18. Sep 30, 2009 #17

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

To the OP, here's a little tip:
    Right click on a link (in at least Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari, and probably all the others), and then click on the "Save link as" option.

Nothing else will really work, short of changing the extension to something nonsensical (like meScreamingAtU.mp3 to meScreamingAtU.xyz) such that no browser knows what the hell to do with the file type, and has to prompt whoever downloads it. Then once you've got the file downloaded, you'd have to change the extension back.

In conclusion, use the right click and Save As option. And just put the notice at the top of the page.

EDIT: At least nothing short of scripting, as another post above mentions.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  19. Sep 30, 2009 #18
    I would also highly recommend that. I have been using dropbox for about a year and I never seen anything that good for storing/synchronizing files.

20. Sep 30, 2009 #19

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The reason you have been getting useless suggestions is because your question is poorly formulated.
    GIGO: garbage in = garbage out.

In post 1 you want a site only you can access.
    Then in post 11, you completely change your requirements and want public user-friendly access with username and password.

Before getting short-fused about the lousy responses, next time perhaps do us the courtesy of actually telling us what you want?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook