Store all my thoughts

• Thread starter Avichal
  • Start date
I have many ideas and thoughts that I want to store. Many are insights about some particular topic.
Ideally I would want to write a book but that's too far-fetched (is this how writers get motivated to write books?)

I don't want to write in a notebook or something. I think it's temporary and I'll lose it.
Any ideas? Never thought I would face such a problem.

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I have many ideas and thoughts that I want to store. Many are insights about some particular topic.
Ideally I would want to write a book but that's too far-fetched (is this how writers get motivated to write books?)

I don't want to write in a notebook or something. I think it's temporary and I'll lose it.
Other than paper, one must rely on electronic media with redundant backup. Create electronic files on the computer, then periodically copy to one or more external hard-drives or optical media. Then store the HD/optical media in a safe place.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author

Have you never heard of Google Documents?

Zz.

Of course I am looking for some software. Google Docs or something similar is okay but I want something different.
Is there anything that helps me store data in a tree-like structure?

P.S. :- Please move this thread to computer sub-forum as it probably belongs there.

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
Take a creative writing course in the evening. See how others do it.

Other than paper, one must rely on electronic media with redundant backup. Create electronic files on the computer, then periodically copy to one or more external hard-drives or optical media. Then store the HD/optical media in a safe place.
That would be my advice too. For this I use USBs, rewritable DVDs and multisession DVDs.

I'm pretty sure there is some dedicated software (but I don't recall any at the moment). Nevertheless, I personally think tree-like structures can be over the top (but it's just my opinion). For organized data, I make documents with table of contents and/or index - it's a kind of tree-structure. You can also go "weblike" and use a html-editor like e.g. Adobe GoLive, and create a treestructure with links and htmlpages (but it takes some time to learn, of course). Another, more "raw", solution is to create a treestructure with folders and files directly in the operating system. I sometimes do this (for e.g. organizing weblinks).

Last edited:
russ_watters
Mentor
Of course I am looking for some software. Google Docs or something similar is okay but I want something different.
Google: mind map software

Google: mind map software
Mindmeister.com is pretty much what I wanted. It's not free though. Anyways, thanks for the 'mind map' keyword.

Mindmeister.com is pretty much what I wanted. It's not free though. Anyways, thanks for the 'mind map' keyword.
I googled "free mind map software" and found this: Freemind. There might be more software, I didn't check all the search results.

Likes 1 person