Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Store all my thoughts

1. Aug 28, 2013 #1
    I have many ideas and thoughts that I want to store. Many are insights about some particular topic.
    Ideally I would want to write a book but that's too far-fetched (is this how writers get motivated to write books?)

I don't want to write in a notebook or something. I think it's temporary and I'll lose it.
    Any ideas? Never thought I would face such a problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2013 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Other than paper, one must rely on electronic media with redundant backup. Create electronic files on the computer, then periodically copy to one or more external hard-drives or optical media. Then store the HD/optical media in a safe place.

4. Aug 28, 2013 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Have you never heard of Google Documents?

Zz.

5. Aug 28, 2013 #4
    Of course I am looking for some software. Google Docs or something similar is okay but I want something different.
    Is there anything that helps me store data in a tree-like structure?

P.S. :- Please move this thread to computer sub-forum as it probably belongs there.

6. Aug 28, 2013 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Take a creative writing course in the evening. See how others do it.

7. Aug 28, 2013 #6
    That would be my advice too. For this I use USBs, rewritable DVDs and multisession DVDs.

I'm pretty sure there is some dedicated software (but I don't recall any at the moment). Nevertheless, I personally think tree-like structures can be over the top (but it's just my opinion). For organized data, I make documents with table of contents and/or index - it's a kind of tree-structure. You can also go "weblike" and use a html-editor like e.g. Adobe GoLive, and create a treestructure with links and htmlpages (but it takes some time to learn, of course). Another, more "raw", solution is to create a treestructure with folders and files directly in the operating system. I sometimes do this (for e.g. organizing weblinks).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  8. Aug 28, 2013 #7

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Google: mind map software

9. Aug 28, 2013 #8
    Mindmeister.com is pretty much what I wanted. It's not free though. Anyways, thanks for the 'mind map' keyword.

10. Aug 28, 2013 #9
    I googled "free mind map software" and found this: Freemind. There might be more software, I didn't check all the search results.

11. Aug 28, 2013 #10
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook