Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Storing energy?

1. Sep 30, 2016 #1
    How can kinetic or mechanical energy be stored?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On a shelf, in a flywheel, in a water reservoir, etc.

4. Sep 30, 2016 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Is this a homework question?

5. Sep 30, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see you haven't been welcomed ...

So here it is: Hello Darnell, :welcome: !

My answer reflects the terseness of your question; if you would provide a little more context perhaps we can give better help.

On a shelf you can place a weight (or you can lift the weight on an old-fashioned clock) Height times mass time graviational acceleration is energy ##E_{\rm pot} = mgh##.
    A spinning flywheel represents kinetic energy, to the tune of ##{1\over 2} I \omega^2##.
    One can pump water into a reservoir such as Lake Mead and later recover the energy in the Hoover dam turbines.

Energy conversions and energy storage are big, big business around the world.

There's a nice thread on storing energy by letting heavy trains climb hills in the desert (ARES)

6. Sep 30, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes welcome to the forum.

Do you have to store the kinetic energy in that form or can you convert it to another form and back again? For example when an electric car wants to slow down it can convert it's KE to electrical energy and store it in a battery.

7. Oct 1, 2016 #6

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Thread will be lock until OP can answer whether this is homework or not.

OP, send me a PM if this is not homework.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook