1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Story Problem w/ parabolas

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two children were bouncing a ball. During one particular bounce, the ball traveled a horizontal distance of 6 feet and its maximum height above the ground was 4 feet. The path was in the shape of a parabola. Find the standard equation of the parabola described by this information. Let x represent the horizontal distance in feet from the point the bounce started and y represent the height above the ground in feet.

Here's the possible answers:

[​IMG]

2. Relevant equations

Standard form of a parabola: F(x)=a(x-h)^2 + k

3. The attempt at a solution

Finding a is my problem, but ultimately you need to find the other variables before you can find a so essentially i am having problems with it all.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2
    In the standard equation k would be be y intercept. In your case I believe that is +4. That narrows it down to A, C, and E. The brute force method is to solve the standard equation when y = 0. You know that when y = 0, that x must equal [tex]\pm[/tex] 6. Therefore you can check equations A, C, and E. to see if when y=0 x=[tex]\pm[/tex]6.

4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
    If its a perfect parabola, then what's the x coordinate of the maximum height?

5. Nov 4, 2007 #4
    I think that the x value for the max height is 3 because it would half way between the 2 x intercepts.

I had plugged all of the information into the equation, and tried solving for a.

But i can't come out with any of the a values in any of the possible answers. I get a = 0.

6. Nov 4, 2007 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Starting from standard position, y=a(x-c)^2+b, this has been translated to
    y=a(x-3)^2+4.

One of the points is (3, 4). Another point on this graph will be (6, 0), one of the intercepts. "a" should be a negative number. Do some algebra and obtain a formula,
    (y-4)=a(x-3)^2
    a = ((y-4)^(0.5))/((x-3)^2)),
    Now plug in the values for coordinate of (6, 0) for x and y and find a. You will obtain the value of a = ? You can figure this out now.

7. Nov 4, 2007 #6
    THANK YOU symbol!

I figured it out i think, or atleast i got the a value in one of the possible answers.

Here's how i did it, to help anyone else who might have had a similar problem.

y=a(x-h)^2 + k (standard equation)

0=a(6-3)^2 + 4 (In the original problem it says that y represents the height above the ground but the trick is, the height above the ground at a horizontal distance of 6, which means the height is 0 because at a horizontal distance of 6 it has hit the ground already. So i plugged in 3,4 for h,k and i plugged in 6,0 for x,y)

0=a(3)^2 + 4

0=9a +4

-4=9a

a=-4/9

Standard equation: y=-4/9(x-3)^2 + 4

8. Nov 5, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually you don't need to find a at all- the problem does not require you to. You know that the "base" of the parabola goes from 0 to 6 and, because of the symmetry, the vertex will be at the horizontal mid-point, x= 3. The top is at 4 so the vertex is at (3, 4). Now you know that the graph is of the form y= a(x- 3)2+ 40- and only one of the answers, C, is like that.

9. Nov 5, 2007 #8
    Oh yes that is true. But the reason i wanted to make sure and find a was because on the test that's coming up it might not be multiple choice. So i would need to know how to find a in that situation. Thank you so much everyone.

10. Nov 5, 2007 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Absolutely a good approach. I rechecked carefully for "a" to be sure that a correct choice was given among the set of answer choices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?