An Introduction To Home Gardening""Home Gardening 101: A Beginner's Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses the temperature changes of a can of varnish that was brought into a room with a controlled temperature of 74 deg F from a storage temperature of 40 deg F. After 2 hours, the temperature of the varnish rose to 58 deg F, but for best results, it should be used at 68 deg F. The question is how much longer do they have to wait to use the varnish and get the best results. The person asking the question is in precalculus and has attempted to solve the problem using different methods but is unsure if they are correct.
wegnes

Physics news on Phys.org
a can of varnish that was stored @ 40 deg F was brought in a living room where the temp is controlled at a constant 74 deg F. After 2 hours the Temp of the varnish has risen to 58 deg F. For best results the ideal Temp to use the varnish is 68 deg F. How much longer do we have to wait to use the varnish and get best results?
Please help!

Help by telling you the answer? What have you done on this yourself?

A few questions for you:

1) What level of study are you at? (This will help the community identify what is likely the desired answer)

2) Were you given any other information in this problem?The reason I ask is that, if one assumes that temperature change in this problem is linear, then the problem is straightforward. If you've learned calculus, this changes things.

I am in precalculus, here's what I tried...

BrendanH said:
A few questions for you:

1) What level of study are you at? (This will help the community identify what is likely the desired answer)

2) Were you given any other information in this problem?

The reason I ask is that, if one assumes that temperature change in this problem is linear, then the problem is straightforward. If you've learned calculus, this changes things.

I tried 2 hr/18 degrees x 10 degress = 1.11

Regarding the story problem ques:

I am new to this website. I apologize for not showing my work. I have worked on it a lot actually I just don't know if I'm right or not.

I tried...
2 hr/ 18 degrees x 10 degrees = degrees cancel so 1.11 hour

I tried also with the Newtons law of heating and cooling equation: but not sure if the K value I come up with using t= 2 hours and the temp difference 40 to 58 it the one I should use to find the time when the temp changes 10 more degrees.

I have no idea what you mean by "I tried...2 hr/ 18 degrees x 10 degrees = degrees cancel so 1.11 hour". Surely you don't mean you just put numbers together randomly!

Newton's law of heating and cooling applies here. Please show us exactly what you did.

1. What are the benefits of home gardening?

Home gardening has numerous benefits, including providing fresh and organic produce, improving mental and physical health through relaxation and exercise, reducing carbon footprint by growing your own food, and saving money on groceries.

2. What are some essential tools for home gardening?

Some essential tools for home gardening include a shovel, trowel, hand pruners, watering can or hose, rake, hoe, and gloves. These tools will help you with tasks such as digging, planting, pruning, watering, and weeding.

3. How much space do I need for a home garden?

The amount of space needed for a home garden depends on the type of plants you want to grow and their spacing requirements. Generally, a small raised bed or container garden can provide enough space for a beginner's home garden.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in home gardening?

Some common mistakes to avoid in home gardening include overwatering, not providing enough sunlight for plants, planting too close together, not preparing the soil properly, and not rotating crops to prevent soil depletion.

5. How can I start a home garden on a budget?

Starting a home garden on a budget is possible by using inexpensive or recycled materials for containers or raised beds, starting plants from seeds instead of buying seedlings, and choosing low-maintenance plants that are suitable for your climate.