Story problems for Algebra II/Trig review test

In summary, two trains leave from opposite directions at different times and speeds. To find when they will pass each other, solve for t when the expression for their distance apart is equal to zero. No graphing is necessary for this problem.
roquel

Homework Statement

at noon a train leaves B heading East at 90 mi/h to C which is 450 miles away
at 12:15 pm a train leaves C heading West to B at 100 mi/h. When will they pass each other?

Homework Equations

t=0 when train leaves B and train leaving C is ) at t=15min

The Attempt at a Solution

Graph hours on the x-axis and miles on the y axis, but how do you graph the train leaving C? I don't see how the lines intersect. Where do I go to get basic information on these types of problems?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to graph anything.

Let t be the number of hours since noon that have elapsed.
Can you write down an expression in terms of t for how far apart the trains are?
(hint: they start 450 miles apart and one train leaves earlier)

Once you have done that, they will pass each other at a time t that makes your expression equal zero (because then they will be zero miles apart!)

1. What are story problems in algebra II/trig?

Story problems in algebra II/trig are word problems that involve using algebraic and trigonometric concepts to solve real-life scenarios. These problems often require students to apply multiple mathematical principles and formulas to arrive at a solution.

2. How do I approach solving story problems in algebra II/trig?

To solve story problems in algebra II/trig, it is important to carefully read the problem and identify the given information and what is being asked. Then, set up equations or use diagrams to represent the problem and solve for the unknown variable using algebraic and trigonometric methods.

3. What are some common strategies for solving story problems in algebra II/trig?

Some common strategies for solving story problems in algebra II/trig include setting up equations, using diagrams or graphs, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, and checking for reasonableness of solutions.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving story problems in algebra II/trig?

To improve your skills in solving story problems in algebra II/trig, practice is key. It is also helpful to review algebraic and trigonometric concepts, work on similar problems, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.

5. Can you provide some examples of story problems in algebra II/trig?

Examples of story problems in algebra II/trig include calculating the height of a tree using right triangle trigonometry, determining the amount of time it takes for a ball to hit the ground using quadratic equations, and finding the distance between two moving objects using equations of motion.