Solve 1-Param DE: dr/dβ cot β - r = 2

• Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a 1-parameter family of solutions for a given differential equation. The attempted solution involves taking e to the power of each side, but there are errors in the calculation which result in a different solution compared to the one in the book. The errors are explained and the correct solution is given.
Nano-Passion

Homework Statement

Find 1-parameter family of solutions for the folloing differential equation:

dr/dβ cot (β) - r = 2

The Attempt at a Solution

dr/dβ cot β - r = 2
dr/β cot β = 2 + r
dr = (2+r) dβ/cot β
integral dr/2+r = integral tan β dβ
ln (2+r) = - ln (cos β) + c

I take everything to the e power

2+r = - cos β + e^c
r = c cos - 2

While the book has r = c sec - 2. I suspect this might be because of taking e^- ln, if it is, please explain why that happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have errors when taking e to the power of each side. (NOT "to the e power"!)
[itex]e^{-ln(cos(\beta))+ C}[/itex] is NOT "[itex]-cos(\beta)+ e^c[/itex]" for two reasons. First, [itex]e^{-ln(A)}= e^{ln(1/A)}= 1/A[/itex], not -A. Second [itex]e^{A+ B}= e^Ae^B[/itex], not [itex]e^A+ e^B[/itex].
[tex]e^{-ln(cos(\beta))+ c}= e^{ln(1/cos(\beta)}e^c= C/cos(\beta)= C sec(\beta)[/tex]
where [itex]C= e^c[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
You have errors when taking e to the power of each side. (NOT "to the e power"!)
Sorry, I was sloppy with my wording hehe.

[itex]e^{-ln(cos(\beta))+ C}[/itex] is NOT "[itex]-cos(\beta)+ e^c[/itex]" for two reasons. First, [itex]e^{-ln(A)}= e^{ln(1/A)}= 1/A[/itex], not -A. Second [itex]e^{A+ B}= e^Ae^B[/itex], not [itex]e^A+ e^B[/itex].

What i did was [itex]e^A+e^B[/itex], then I incorporated the constant when I wrote [itex]c cos[/itex]

[tex]e^{-ln(cos(\beta))+ c}= e^{ln(1/cos(\beta)}e^c= C/cos(\beta)= C cos (\beta)[/tex]
where [itex]C= e^c[/itex].

Many thanks!

1. What is a 1-Param DE?

A 1-Param DE, or one-parameter differential equation, is an equation that involves one unknown function and its derivatives with respect to one independent variable. In this case, the unknown function is r and the independent variable is β.

2. How do you solve a 1-Param DE?

To solve a 1-Param DE, you need to use techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. In some cases, it may be necessary to use numerical methods to approximate the solution.

3. What is the purpose of the cot β term in this equation?

The cot β term is included in this equation because it is a mathematical representation of the inverse of the tangent function. It is often used in differential equations to model physical phenomena that involve circular motion or oscillations.

4. How do you interpret the solution of this 1-Param DE?

The solution of this 1-Param DE will be a function of β that satisfies the equation for all values of β. It represents the relationship between the variables r and β that satisfies the given equation.

5. Can this 1-Param DE be solved analytically?

Yes, this 1-Param DE can be solved analytically using the method of integrating factors. The solution will involve an exponential function and a constant of integration.