1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Straight line in a plane

1. Jun 19, 2015 #1
    The title does not say much. But my actual question is as follows.
    Let us suppose a line ax+by=0.
    This means A.B = 0 with A and B being vectors, where A = [a,b] and B = [x,y].
    Therefore, A is perpendicular to B.

Now my question is if A is also perpendicular to line ax+by=0 (I'm not sure if this makes sense).
    I read this statement in a book and I'm not able to understand how this came to be.

Please help me understand this.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The equation ax + by = 0 is being interpreted as the dot product of A and B, as you defined them above.
    The line ax + by = 0 can be written as y = (-a/b)x, where b ≠ 0. The slope of this line is m = -a/b. The slope of the vector A = <a, b> is b/a. Since -a/b and b/a are negative reciprocals of each other, the vector A and the line ax + by = 0 are perpendicular.

4. Jun 19, 2015 #3
    You know the dot product rule If ##\vec{K}=(x_1,y_1)## and ##\vec{L}=(x_2,y_2)##, the dot product will be ##x_1x_2+y_1y_2##.Now Do the same thing A and B.This is the answer why ##\vec{A}.\vec{B}=0##.Lets come to your question.
    Do you now write line like a vector? Translate line into a vector form then make a dot product of A.If you do that you will also understand why A is perpandicular to line.

5. Jun 19, 2015 #4
    Thanks Mark44, I had forgotten the negative reciprocal rule of slopes for perpendicular lines. Everything makes sense now.

6. Jun 19, 2015 #5
    Is it OK to say that A is perpendicular to ax+by=0 because A.B=0? Another statement from the same book conveying this meaning.

7. Jun 19, 2015 #6
    Yes thats true.

8. Jun 19, 2015 #7
    Please explain.

9. Jun 19, 2015 #8
    I think the above quoted message is misleading here.
    My question would have been as follows:
    Is it OK to say that A is perpendicular to ax+by=0 because A is perpendicular to B?

10. Jun 19, 2015 #9
    A is perpendicular to B means A.B=0 you are asking same question again.

11. Jun 19, 2015 #10
    How is it right to say that A is perpendicular to ax+by=0 just because A is perpendicular to B?

12. Jun 19, 2015 #11
    If A.B=0, (A=(a,b) and B=(x,y)) we get ax+by=0.Now this means ax=-yb and then y=-ax/b this is a line equation If you write it like a vector you will have to write (x,y) so (x,-ax/b) then If you make dot product rule you get ax+b(-ax/b)=0 so A and line is perpandicular.How can we conclude this idea A.B=0 If you didnt know A.B=0 or you didnt conclude thats not zero you cannot tell me that A is perpandicular to K.Let give an example.A=(3,4) and B=(x;y) now we want to sure that 3x+4y=0 is perpandicular to A.then you need to make 3x+4y=0 like a vector.3x=-4y y=-3x/4 then write it like a vector lets call it K vector.K=(x,-3x/4) now we want to know A.K=? Lets make it , 3x+4(-3x/4)=0 we get zero.So it means A.K=0

If I was made 3x+4y=1 which it means A and B are not perpandicular.Lets see what will happen now.Again we want to know A.K=?. A=(3,4) and K=(x,1-3x/4) If you make dot product you can easily see A.K≠0 means they are not perpandicular.So If A and B are not perpandicular then line and A will be not perpandicular
    I hope this helps

13. Jun 19, 2015 #12
    Thank you RyanH42.

14. Jun 19, 2015 #13

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I explained this in post #2.

15. Jun 19, 2015 #14
    Post #2 helped me understand the negative reciprocal rule for perpendicularity.
    Post #11 helped me understand the negative reciprocal rule for perpendicularity being applicable, in context of post #10, only after A.B=0 being valid.

The combination of both posts helped me understand everything.
    Thanks to both of you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook