Understanding Perpendicularity in a Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of perpendicularity between a vector A and a line represented by the equation ax + by = 0. The key understanding is that A and the line are perpendicular because A.B = 0, as per the dot product rule. This is further clarified by the negative reciprocal rule of perpendicularity. The conversation also addresses a question about the validity of this statement and provides examples to demonstrate the concept.
vktsn0303
The title does not say much. But my actual question is as follows.
Let us suppose a line ax+by=0.
This means A.B = 0 with A and B being vectors, where A = [a,b] and B = [x,y].
Therefore, A is perpendicular to B.

Now my question is if A is also perpendicular to line ax+by=0 (I'm not sure if this makes sense).
I read this statement in a book and I'm not able to understand how this came to be.

Please help me understand this.

Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
vktsn0303 said:
The title does not say much. But my actual question is as follows.
Let us suppose a line ax+by=0.
This means A.B = 0 with A and B being vectors, where A = [a,b] and B = [x,y].
Therefore, A is perpendicular to B.
The equation ax + by = 0 is being interpreted as the dot product of A and B, as you defined them above.
vktsn0303 said:
Now my question is if A is also perpendicular to line ax+by=0 (I'm not sure if this makes sense).
I read this statement in a book and I'm not able to understand how this came to be.
The line ax + by = 0 can be written as y = (-a/b)x, where b ≠ 0. The slope of this line is m = -a/b. The slope of the vector A = <a, b> is b/a. Since -a/b and b/a are negative reciprocals of each other, the vector A and the line ax + by = 0 are perpendicular.
vktsn0303 said:
Please help me understand this.

Thanks in advance.

You know the dot product rule If ##\vec{K}=(x_1,y_1)## and ##\vec{L}=(x_2,y_2)##, the dot product will be ##x_1x_2+y_1y_2##.Now Do the same thing A and B.This is the answer why ##\vec{A}.\vec{B}=0##.Lets come to your question.
Do you now write line like a vector? Translate line into a vector form then make a dot product of A.If you do that you will also understand why A is perpandicular to line.

Mark44 said:
The equation ax + by = 0 is being interpreted as the dot product of A and B, as you defined them above.
The line ax + by = 0 can be written as y = (-a/b)x, where b ≠ 0. The slope of this line is m = -a/b. The slope of the vector A = <a, b> is b/a. Since -a/b and b/a are negative reciprocals of each other, the vector A and the line ax + by = 0 are perpendicular.

Thanks Mark44, I had forgotten the negative reciprocal rule of slopes for perpendicular lines. Everything makes sense now.

Is it OK to say that A is perpendicular to ax+by=0 because A.B=0? Another statement from the same book conveying this meaning.

vktsn0303 said:
Is it OK to say that A is perpendicular to ax+by=0 because A.B=0? Another statement from the same book conveying this meaning.
Yes that's true.

RyanH42 said:
Yes that's true.

Please explain.

vktsn0303 said:

I think the above quoted message is misleading here.
My question would have been as follows:
Is it OK to say that A is perpendicular to ax+by=0 because A is perpendicular to B?

A is perpendicular to B means A.B=0 you are asking same question again.

RyanH42 said:
A is perpendicular to B means A.B=0 you are asking same question again.

How is it right to say that A is perpendicular to ax+by=0 just because A is perpendicular to B?

vktsn0303 said:
Please explain.
If A.B=0, (A=(a,b) and B=(x,y)) we get ax+by=0.Now this means ax=-yb and then y=-ax/b this is a line equation If you write it like a vector you will have to write (x,y) so (x,-ax/b) then If you make dot product rule you get ax+b(-ax/b)=0 so A and line is perpandicular.How can we conclude this idea A.B=0 If you didnt know A.B=0 or you didnt conclude that's not zero you cannot tell me that A is perpandicular to K.Let give an example.A=(3,4) and B=(x;y) now we want to sure that 3x+4y=0 is perpandicular to A.then you need to make 3x+4y=0 like a vector.3x=-4y y=-3x/4 then write it like a vector let's call it K vector.K=(x,-3x/4) now we want to know A.K=? Let's make it , 3x+4(-3x/4)=0 we get zero.So it means A.K=0

If I was made 3x+4y=1 which it means A and B are not perpandicular.Lets see what will happen now.Again we want to know A.K=?. A=(3,4) and K=(x,1-3x/4) If you make dot product you can easily see A.K≠0 means they are not perpandicular.So If A and B are not perpandicular then line and A will be not perpandicular
I hope this helps

Thank you RyanH42.

vktsn0303 said:
How is it right to say that A is perpendicular to ax+by=0 just because A is perpendicular to B?
I explained this in post #2.

Mark44 said:
I explained this in post #2.
Post #2 helped me understand the negative reciprocal rule for perpendicularity.
Post #11 helped me understand the negative reciprocal rule for perpendicularity being applicable, in context of post #10, only after A.B=0 being valid.

The combination of both posts helped me understand everything.
Thanks to both of you.

1. What is a straight line in a plane?

A straight line in a plane is the shortest distance between two points on a flat surface. It is a geometric shape that extends infinitely in both directions.

2. How is a straight line represented in a plane?

In a plane, a straight line is typically represented by a line segment with two endpoints or by an equation in the form of y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

3. What is the difference between a straight line and a curved line in a plane?

A straight line is a one-dimensional shape that does not bend or curve, while a curved line is a shape that changes direction at any point. In a plane, a straight line is the shortest distance between two points, while a curved line is longer and can have varying degrees of curvature.

4. How do you determine if three points lie on a straight line in a plane?

If the three points are collinear, meaning they lie on the same straight line, then the slope of the line passing through the first two points will be the same as the slope of the line passing through the second and third points. This can be calculated using the slope formula (m = (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1)). If the slopes are equal, then the three points lie on a straight line.

5. Can a straight line intersect with another straight line in a plane?

Yes, two straight lines can intersect at a single point in a plane. This point is called the point of intersection and is the solution to the system of equations formed by the two lines. However, if the slopes of the two lines are equal, they will never intersect and are considered parallel.