Is the Point (-1/2, -2) Equidistant from Two Perpendicular Lines?

In summary, Tanya spells out the equation for finding the distance between two points. This equation can be used to solve for the distance between two points. If you can recognize the equation spelled out by Tanya, then the exercise is straightforward.
Dumbledore211

Homework Statement

Show that the point (-1/2, -2) is equidistant from the straight lines 2x-3y+4=0 and 6x+4y-7=0

Homework Equations

distance between the points= {(x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2}^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is that the given two straight lines are perpendicular to each other. It would be very helpful if anyone of you could drop a hint as to how I should use this fact in proving the fact that the given point is at an equal distance from the given straight lines

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw any graphs?

I don't see the relevance of your equation.
Do you know how to calculate the distance between two parallel lines ?

For example between 6x + 4y = 7 and 6x + 4y = -11 ?

(The latter happens to go through the point -1/2, -2 )

BvU said:
I don't see the relevance of your equation.
Do you know how to calculate the distance between two parallel lines ?

For example between 6x + 4y = 7 and 6x + 4y = -11 ?

(The latter happens to go through the point -1/2, -2 )

I don't see the relevance of your questions. The two lines given by the OP are not parallel.

Dumbledore211 said:

Homework Statement

Show that the point (-1/2, -2) is equidistant from the straight lines 2x-3y+4=0 and 6x+4y-7=0

Homework Equations

distance between the points= {(x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2}^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know is that the given two straight lines are perpendicular to each other. It would be very helpful if anyone of you could drop a hint as to how I should use this fact in proving the fact that the given point is at an equal distance from the given straight lines

Just find the distance between the given point and the first line .Then calculate the distance between the point and the second line .You will get same distances in the two cases .

The distance between a point (p,q) and line Ax+By+C=0 is given by |Ap+Bq+C|/√(A2+B2)

sorry post error

Ray Vickson said:
I don't see the relevance of your questions. The two lines given by the OP are not parallel.

No, but because the lines are perpendicular to each other, the 'dropped perpendicular' from the point to one line will be parallel to the other line. Whether that saves anything I'm not sure.

Dear professor Dumbledore,
Do you recognize/understand the formula as spelled out by Tanya? If so, the exercise is straightforward as she says (work, yuch!).
In #1 (2) you made me a bit careful, since there are no two points in the OP. Yet in #1 (3) you quite correctly observe the two lines are perpendicular and you sniff that there might be a smart mathemagical trick to avoid superfluous work. Good attitude!

What is the Straight Line Problem?

The Straight Line Problem is a mathematical concept that deals with finding the equation of a straight line that passes through two given points in a Cartesian plane.

What is the formula for finding the equation of a straight line?

The formula for finding the equation of a straight line is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How do you find the slope of a line?

The slope of a line can be found by taking the difference in y-coordinates (rise) and dividing it by the difference in x-coordinates (run) between two points on the line. This can also be represented as (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

What is the significance of the y-intercept in the equation of a straight line?

The y-intercept, represented by b in the equation y = mx + b, is the point where the line intersects with the y-axis. It indicates the initial or starting value of the dependent variable (y) when the independent variable (x) is equal to 0.

Can the Straight Line Problem be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the Straight Line Problem has many real-world applications, such as calculating the trajectory of a projectile, predicting the growth of a population over time, and analyzing trends in data. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering.