What Are the Possible Loci When d (x, y) = max {|x|,|y|}?

Sure! For (x=1, y=5), the maximum value of |x| and |y| is 5, so d(x,y) = 5. For (-4,5), the maximum value is 5, so d(x,y) = 5. For (-6,5), the maximum value is 6, so d(x,y) = 6. For (1,1), the maximum value is 1, so d(x,y) = 1. For (-5,4), the maximum value is 5, so d(x,y) = 5. For (-5,-4), the maximum value is 5, so d(x,y) = 5. For (-3
Saitama

Homework Statement

If the distance of any point (x,y) from the origin is defined as
d (x, y) = max {|x|,|y|},
d (x, y) = a non zero constant, then the locus is

(a) a circle
(b) a straight line
(c) a square
(d) a triangle

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what does the question mean by "d (x, y) = max {|x|,|y|}"?

Can somebody tell what does the notation mean? I never encountered problems like these.
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you understand of the various symbols used?

What does "|x|" mean, for example

If you have no idea what the symbols mean, one has to wonder what you are doing working on the problem with no background, but if you do understand them, then say what they are and see where that leads.

phinds said:
what do you understand of the various symbols used?

What does "|x|" mean, for example

If you have no idea what the symbols mean, one has to wonder what you are doing working on the problem with no background, but if you do understand them, then say what they are and see where that leads.

I know what does |x| mean. My question is what does this "max" and "d(x,y)" mean?
(x,y) are the co-ordinates of a point but i don't understand what this "d(x,y)" mean.

Thanks for the reply! :smile:

d(x,y) is just a function, it is not the same as the classical distance. It is defined as max(|x|,|y|), so d=|x| when |x|>|y| and d=|y| when |y|>|x|. Find the locus where d(x,y)= constant. Draw a picture of the coordinate system and find the regions where |y|>|x| and |x|>|y|. Draw the lines d=const. You will see the solution at once.

ehild

ehild said:
d(x,y) is just a function, it is not the same as the classical distance. It is defined as max(|x|,|y|), so d=|x| when |x|>|y| and d=|y| when |y|>|x|. Find the locus where d(x,y)= constant. Draw a picture of the coordinate system and find the regions where |y|>|x| and |x|>|y|. Draw the lines d=const. You will see the solution at once.

ehild

I drew the graph of the both |x| and |y| on the same graph and found that the graphs of both |x| and |y| coincides with each other.
Is the coinciding line is my answer?

Pranav-Arora said:
I drew the graph of the both |x| and |y| on the same graph and found that the graphs of both |x| and |y| coincides with each other.
Is the coinciding line is my answer?

NO. Show your drawing, please. You need to find those points in that domain of the x,y plane where |y|>|x| for which d(x,y)= |y| =const, for example d(x,y) = |y|=5. And also find those points (x,y), |x|>|y|, for which d(x,y)=|x|=5

ehild

ehild said:
NO. Show your drawing, please. You need to find those points in that domain of the x,y plane where |y|>|x| for which d(x,y)= |y| =const, for example d(x,y) = |y|=5. And also find those points (x,y), |x|>|y|, for which d(x,y)=|x|=5

ehild

My graph is similar to this:- http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=|y|=x,y=|x|

The plot is a good start to show the domains, but complete it for x<0, y<0. Then draw the line(s) |y|=5 in the range |x|<|y|.ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
The plot is a good start to show the domains, but complete it for x<0, y<0. Then draw the line(s) |y|=5 in the range |x|<|y|.

ehild

Here's the graph which i drew (Not to scale):-
1t95kw.jpg

|y|=5, that mean y=5 or y=-5, i draw both of them but i still don't understand what you mean by |x|<|y|?

Sorry if this is annoying for you.

The lines y=5 and y=-5 do not extend to infinity. d(x,y)=max(|x|,|y|)=5. It is equal to |y| while |y|>|x|, in the yellow area of the x,y plane. In the blue area, where |x|>|y|, d(x,y)=5=|x|. Draw it.

ehild

Attachments

• lines.JPG
    lines.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 442
Hi Pranav! :smile:

Perhaps you could consider a few points in the plane.
Like (x=1, y=5), (-4,5), (-6,5), (1,1), (-5,4), (-5,-4), (-3,-5).
Can you say what max(|x|,|y|) is in each case?

1. What is a straight line?

A straight line is a geometric object that extends infinitely in both directions and has constant direction.

2. How do you determine if two lines are parallel?

If two lines have the same slope (or are both vertical), then they are parallel.

3. What is the slope of a straight line?

The slope of a straight line is the measure of its steepness and is represented by the letter "m". It can be calculated as the change in y values over the change in x values (rise over run).

4. How do you find the equation of a straight line?

The equation of a straight line can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept (where the line crosses the y-axis). To find the equation, you need to know the slope and one point on the line.

5. What is the difference between a line and a ray?

A line has no endpoint and extends infinitely in both directions, while a ray has one endpoint and extends infinitely in one direction. A line can be thought of as a "straight path", while a ray can be thought of as a "starting point with a direction".