What Weight Should Be Hung at Point P for Horizontal String?

• Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, the conversation discusses a string attached to a wall and a weight at point p. The question is what weight should be hung at point p to make the lower part of the string completely horizontal. The conversation also mentions drawing a free body diagram and considering the tension and weight forces. The conclusion is that the point p can be in equilibrium depending on the properties of the string and the elongation under load.
ritwik06

Homework Statement

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/781/86393071cs1.jpg
The figure shows a string with its ends attached to a wall. What weight should be hung at point p so that the lower part of this string becomes completely horizontal?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think the string can be horizontal.
I drew the FBD for point p.
since tension is same throughout.
the horizontal part of the string applies t [tex]\hat{i}[/tex]
the weight applies -w [tex]\hat{j}[/tex]
the upper part of the string applies -t sin x [tex]\hat{i}[/tex] +t cos x [tex]\hat{j}[/tex]

where x is the angle made by the upper part of the string with the vertical.
Point p cannot be in equilibrium whatever the magnitude of w be.
Am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ritwik06: No, point P is in static equilibrium, unless it is accelerating. Were properties for the string given? Tension is not the same throughout the string if a tangential force component is applied in the middle of the string, by an object that is not allowed to slip or roll, right? If the string elongates greatly under the applied load, couldn't the lower segment of the string become horizontal? Try it again.

Your attempt at a solution is correct. Point P cannot be in equilibrium because the forces acting on it are not balanced. The horizontal component of tension from the upper part of the string is always greater than the weight hanging at point P, so the string will always be at an angle and cannot be completely horizontal.

1. What is the process of straightening a string?

The process of straightening a string involves pulling and stretching the string to remove any bends or curves, resulting in a taut and straight string.

2. Why is it important to straighten a string before using it?

Straightening a string is important because it helps to improve the accuracy and consistency of the string's tension, which in turn affects the sound produced by a musical instrument.

3. Can any string be straightened?

Yes, most strings can be straightened, including guitar strings, violin strings, and even rope. However, some materials, such as nylon or synthetic strings, may be more difficult to straighten and may not hold their shape as well.

4. Is there a specific technique for straightening a string?

Yes, there are a few different techniques for straightening a string, such as pulling the string between your fingers or using a string straightening tool. It is important to be gentle when straightening the string to avoid damaging it.

5. How often should a string be straightened?

This depends on how frequently the string is used and how much it is stretched during playing. Generally, it is recommended to straighten a string every time it is changed or when it starts to noticeably lose its tension and shape.