Calculating Steel String Length and Frequency for Optimal Guitar Performance

In summary, the steel used for the cylindrical guitar string has a density of 7000 kg/m^3 and a breaking stress of 7.30×10^8 Pa. The string has a mass of 3.50 g and can withstand a tension of 930 N without breaking. Its length is 0.3922 m and its radius is 6.37 x 10^-4 m. The highest fundamental frequency that the string can have is determined by the relationship between the velocity of a wave on the string and the tension and mass distribution. It is neither 344 m/s nor 5941 m/s.
redribbbon
One type of steel has a density of 7000 kg/m^3 and a breaking stress of 7.30×10^8 Pa. A cylindrical guitar string is to be made out of a quantity of steel with a mass of 3.50 g.

What is the length of the longest and thinnest string that can be placed under a tension of 930 N without breaking?

What is the highest fundamental frequency that this string could have?

I know that youngs modulus is tensile stress over strain. Tensile strain is delta l / l , and for the second part, i noe that F = V/(2L), but not sure what to do

im not really sure how to go about this. I know the stress is 7.3 x 10^8, so i treated that as stress, and divided by Youngs modulus for steel (20x10^10) to get strain (.0039), which i noe is equal to delta l / l. But i am not sure how to proceed

Physics news on Phys.org
Which aspect of the string is determined by the breaking stress, its length or its area or both? Once you answer that question, you can find the dimensions of the string and the maximum tension it can withstand. The frequency follows from there.

The stress is determined by area
Well, setting F/A equal to 7.3 x 10^8 Pa gives me a radius of 6.37 x 10^-4
which is right
So knowing area, how am i supposed to find length?
this is probably simple, but i am just not seeing it

nvm, i forgot about the density, the length would be .3922

Last edited by a moderator:
redribbbon said:
The stress is determined by area
Well, setting F/A equal to 7.3 x 10^8 Pa gives me a radius of 6.37 x 10^-4
which is right
So knowing area, how am i supposed to find length?
this is probably simple, but i am just not seeing it

You know the density and the mass of the string, so you can find its volume. You know the area, so you can find the length.

but now, i am confused about the last part, for V do I use 344 (speed of sound) or 5941 (speed of sound in steel)?
doing V/(2*.392) either way still gives me the wrong answer

i think the keyword is highest fundamental freq

redribbbon said:
but now, i am confused about the last part, for V do I use 344 (speed of sound) or 5941 (speed of sound in steel)?
doing V/(2*.392) either way still gives me the wrong answer

You need to know the relationship between the velocity of a wave on a string and the tension and mass distribution. It is neither of the velocities you identified.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/waves/string.html

ahh, i see, thanks for the help

1. How do you calculate the optimal steel string length for a guitar?

To calculate the optimal steel string length for a guitar, you will need to know the scale length of the guitar, the desired frequency for the string, and the thickness and density of the string. The formula for calculating the string length is: string length = (scale length x desired frequency)/(1.84 x string thickness x string density).

2. What is the scale length of a guitar and how does it affect the string length?

The scale length of a guitar is the distance between the nut and the saddle of the guitar. It is typically measured in inches or millimeters. The scale length affects the string length because the longer the scale length, the longer the string needs to be to produce the desired frequency. This is because longer strings vibrate at a lower frequency than shorter strings.

3. How does the thickness and density of the string impact the calculation of the string length?

The thickness and density of the string affect the calculation of the string length because they determine the mass of the string. The mass of the string is important because it affects the tension and the frequency of the string. Thicker and denser strings will have a lower frequency and require a longer string length to produce the desired frequency.

4. Why is it important to calculate the optimal string length for guitar performance?

Calculating the optimal string length is important for guitar performance because it ensures that the strings are at the correct tension and frequency for optimal sound quality. If the string length is too short, the strings will be too tight and may break easily. If the string length is too long, the strings may have too much slack and will not produce the desired frequency.

5. Are there any other factors besides string length and frequency that impact guitar performance?

Yes, there are other factors that can impact guitar performance, such as the type and quality of the guitar wood, the shape and design of the guitar, and the player's technique and style. These factors can all affect the overall sound and playability of the guitar. However, calculating the optimal string length and frequency is a crucial step in achieving optimal guitar performance.