Strain Calcs: Convert mm/cm to m?

SI system, to avoid errors. The question may try to catch you out by giving measurements in different units, so always double check before solving.
alfie254
Ok, an easy one I think? I am given an equation to work out the strain on a beam, the dimensions of the beam are in the equation (obviously) and in the question these are given in mm and cm, am I right in thinking all the measurements in the equation need to be in m and the question is trying to catch me out?

Thanks
Alfie

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Alfie! Welcome to PF! :smile:
alfie254 said:
Ok, an easy one I think? I am given an equation to work out the strain on a beam, the dimensions of the beam are in the equation (obviously) and in the question these are given in mm and cm, am I right in thinking all the measurements in the equation need to be in m and the question is trying to catch me out?

Yes! :biggrin:

(you must get all your measurements into the same system … I assume you're using SI … before you start combining them, or things will go horribly wrong :cry:)

Thanks! :smile:

Alfie

1. How do I convert measurements from millimeters or centimeters to meters?

To convert a measurement from millimeters or centimeters to meters, you simply need to divide the value by 1000 for millimeters or 100 for centimeters. This will give you the measurement in meters.

2. Why do we need to convert measurements to meters in strain calculations?

Meters are the standard unit for length in the International System of Units (SI). Converting to meters allows for consistency and accuracy in calculations, especially when working with different units of measurement.

3. Can I convert meters to millimeters or centimeters?

Yes, you can convert meters to millimeters or centimeters by multiplying the measurement by 1000 for millimeters or 100 for centimeters.

4. What is the formula for converting mm/cm to m?

The formula for converting mm/cm to m is: m = mm/1000 or m = cm/100. This formula can also be expressed as: m = (mm or cm)/1000 or m = (mm or cm)/100.

5. Is there a difference between converting mm to m and cm to m?

Yes, there is a difference in the conversion factor for mm and cm. Since cm is larger than mm, the conversion factor for cm to m is 100, while the conversion factor for mm to m is 1000. Therefore, 1 cm is equal to 0.01 m while 1 mm is equal to 0.001 m.