Plotting Components of Strain EXX,EYY,EXY in MATLAB

In summary, the conversation discusses plotting the components of strain in MATLAB and the possibility of the shear strain being zero even when the other components have values, depending on the crystal structure. The best way to plot the components is to plot them separately along a particular direction.
worldtop
I am trying to plot the components of the strain EXX,EYY and EXY in a 2D framework in MATLAB.
The tensor matrix i have is B[exx,exy;exy,eyy]with each component 32x32 array.
The values of Eyy is zero does that mean that there is no strain in the y direction between the two entitie sthat I am comparing and also what is the best way to plot that .

Physics news on Phys.org
Each component is a scalar, so what are you doing?

Phrak said:
Each component is a scalar, so what are you doing?

Exactly, strain is a pointwise scalar, the best way to plot them along a particular direction and then plot them one by one, separately, as follows:

plot(x,exx)
hold on
plot(x,eyy)
plot(x,exy)

Thankx for the reply,
I am new to strain components. just a few fundamental question what are the possibilities that the shear starin exy should be zero even when exx and eyy should have some values.logiccaly applying the strain in a continumm where will a deformation lead to shear component being zero?

1stly, if your crystal is zinc-blende:
the inversion symmetry will give rise to the zero shear strain while shear strain can never vanish when lack of inversion symmetry. In general, the shear strain in zinc-blende is small...

2ndly, if your crystal is wurtzite:
the shear strain can never be ignored which means they always exist...

worldtop said:
Thankx for the reply,
I am new to strain components. just a few fundamental question what are the possibilities that the shear starin exy should be zero even when exx and eyy should have some values.logiccaly applying the strain in a continumm where will a deformation lead to shear component being zero?

1. What is the purpose of plotting strain components in MATLAB?

The purpose of plotting strain components in MATLAB is to visualize and analyze the deformation and stress of a material or structure under load. This can help scientists and engineers understand the behavior and performance of the material and make informed design decisions.

2. How can I plot strain components in MATLAB?

To plot strain components in MATLAB, you can use the plot function and specify the strain data as the input. You can also use the surf function to create a 3D visualization of the strain components. Alternatively, you can use the pcolor function to create a color map of the strain components.

3. Can I customize the plot of strain components in MATLAB?

Yes, you can customize the plot of strain components in MATLAB by changing the line style, color, and markers using the plot function. You can also add a legend, labels, and titles to the plot to make it more informative. Additionally, you can adjust the axes, grid, and background color to improve the visual aesthetics of the plot.

4. How can I extract strain component data from a plot in MATLAB?

To extract strain component data from a plot in MATLAB, you can use the ginput function to select specific points on the plot and retrieve their corresponding strain values. You can also use the gcursor function to display the strain values when the cursor is moved over the plot.

5. Are there any other software programs that can plot strain components?

Yes, there are other software programs that can plot strain components, such as Python's Matplotlib, Origin, and LabVIEW. However, MATLAB is a popular choice among scientists and engineers due to its user-friendly interface, powerful plotting capabilities, and vast library of functions and toolboxes specifically designed for data analysis and visualization.