Understanding the Strain Tensor Component: Physical Meaning of d'_{ijk}E_{k}

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation involving a strain tensor and a component called d'_{ijk}E_{k}. The speaker is seeking clarification on the physical meaning of this component, and mentions the possibility that it could refer to electrostriction. However, they are unable to define the variables as they were not provided with any definitions.
sol66
There's this equation e[tex]_{ij}[/tex] = [tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]_{ij}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]T + d'[tex]_{ijk}[/tex]E[tex]_{k}[/tex] + Q'[tex]_{ijk}[/tex]H[tex]_{k}[/tex] + s[tex]_{ijkl}[/tex] Sigma[tex]_{kl}[/tex], which is the strain tensor I'm asking about. All I want to know is what the component d'[tex]_{ijk}[/tex]E[tex]_{k}[/tex] is called and what its physical meaning is. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be nice if you could define your variable, if possible, but since [itex]\bold{E}[/itex] typically refers to an electric field, I'm guessing it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostriction" ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'm sorry but I would define the variables if I could. The variables weren't defined for me either.

1. What is a strain tensor component?

A strain tensor component is a mathematical representation of the amount and direction of deformation that occurs in an object when a force is applied to it. It is a key parameter used in the study of mechanics and material properties.

2. How many strain tensor components are there?

There are typically six strain tensor components in a three-dimensional system, represented by a 3x3 matrix. These include three normal strains (along the x, y, and z axes) and three shear strains (xy, yz, and xz).

3. How are strain tensor components calculated?

Strain tensor components are calculated by dividing the change in length or angle of a material by the original length or angle. This can be done using various methods, including analytical equations or experimental techniques such as strain gauges.

4. What are the units of strain tensor components?

Strain tensor components are dimensionless quantities, meaning they have no units. They are ratios of lengths or angles and do not have their own physical units.

5. What is the relationship between strain tensor components and stress?

Stress and strain are closely related, with strain tensor components being a measure of the deformation caused by stress. In a linear elastic material, the strain tensor components are directly proportional to the stress tensor components, with the proportionality constant being the material's elastic modulus.