Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strain Tensor Component

  1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    There's this equation e[tex]_{ij}[/tex] = [tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]_{ij}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]T + d'[tex]_{ijk}[/tex]E[tex]_{k}[/tex] + Q'[tex]_{ijk}[/tex]H[tex]_{k}[/tex] + s[tex]_{ijkl}[/tex] Sigma[tex]_{kl}[/tex], which is the strain tensor I'm asking about. All I want to know is what the component d'[tex]_{ijk}[/tex]E[tex]_{k}[/tex] is called and what its physical meaning is. Thanks in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    It would be nice if you could define your variable, if possible, but since [itex]\bold{E}[/itex] typically refers to an electric field, I'm guessing it's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostriction" [Broken]).
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    Thanks, I'm sorry but I would define the variables if I could. The variables weren't defined for me either.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook