1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strain thread

1. Sep 11, 2005 #1
    J must count acceleration of each weight and the force of strain thread. Here is a picture:

Attached Files:

• p1.jpg
      p1.jpg
      File size:
      18.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2005 #2
    so nobody know the answer or i wrote quastion to complicated ?

4. Sep 14, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, for one thing your question is not very clear! What are you trying to do?For another, this is the homework forum and you haven't shown that you have tried anything yourself!

5. Sep 15, 2005 #4
    of cours i tried but it is a exercaise from book and i have an answer at the end. But my solution is incorrect. So i ask here. And i tried to count forces work on thread on my picture.

6. Sep 16, 2005 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Uhmm, let a0 be the acceleration of the movable pulley with respect to the ground.
    Positive direction downward.
    Let a1 be the acceleration of the m1 with respect to the ground.
    Let a'2 be the acceleration of the m2 with respect to the movable pulley (that's how the m2 moves in the movable pulley's view).
    Let a'3 be the acceleration of the m3 with respect to the movable pulley (that's how the m3 moves in the movable pulley's view.).
    So the acceleration of m2 with respect to the ground is a2 = a'2 + a0, the acceleration of m3 with respect to the ground is a3 = a'3 + a0.
    And you have a0 = -a1 (The acceleration of the movable pulley and the m1 is the same in magnitude but in opposite direction).
    Since the mass of the movable pulley is negligible, the resultant force acts on it must be [itex]\vec{0}[/itex].
    You can use Newton's 2nd law to solve this problem.
    Viet Dao,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?