1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strained Eye

1. Mar 19, 2015 #1

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not really a homework problem but I wanted to figure out how to derive the equation for a strained eye
    which is $$ M= (N/f) $$ where N is the object distance from the normal near point, and f is the focal length of a magnifying glass. But then, this is for a relaxed eye, why is it $$ M= (1+(N/g))$$ for a strained eye?

2. Relevant equations
    I know that the equation for angular magnification is $$M=(θ'/θ)$$ and I also know that this is for when you use a simple magnifying lens.

(I tried inserting Greek letters using latex but doesn't seem to work? I wrote /theta, isn't that how you do it?)
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Screenshot 2015-03-19 at 10.45.33 AM.png

I know that for a strained eye, is like when you squint the eye, which would reduce the light rays that enter your eye, but how does that change the focal point, and how does that lead to a plus one in magnification?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm not at all sure what you mean by a strained eye in this context. Squinting will change depth of field, but will not directly change the focal point. It might exert some pressure on the eyeball, distorting it. Indeed, 'straining' might mean exerting such pressure, whether by squinting or otherwise.
    You start off saying M=N/f is for a strained eye, but then say that's for a relaxed eye and switch to the other equation for strained.
    What is g here?
    Can you post any links as references for these equations?

For controls in LaTeX, including Greek letters, use backslash.

4. Mar 20, 2015 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted