Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange ads on this site

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1
    Why does a site dedicated to science have ads for crap like this?? :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2005 #2
    We can ban ads, please let us know when you find a poor one and we can take care of it.

4. Apr 2, 2005 #3

anti_crank

Science Advisor

I have an entire list somewhere of questionable sites I've seen linked through Google ads, though I think some of the worst offenders have already been removed. It is simply not possible to remove all of them since every new post has the potential to contain keywords that will home in on a crackpottery site, of which the Web has a seemingly infinite supply.

5. Apr 2, 2005 #4
    OK, I guess you're saying the ads are chosen programmatically. I get it. I'm sure you need the income to run the site, but it'd be nice if there was some other way...

Hehe...another ad from the same site talks about 'holographic time'. :rofl:

6. Apr 2, 2005 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There is another way! You can become a contributing member and you won't see advertisements anymore.

For the price of a large order of fries a month, you get no ads, plus a few other nice perks.

To become a PF contributor, go here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/subscriptions.php

7. Apr 2, 2005 #6
    That's cool, and I will consider it after I spend a bit more time here. My problem isn't so much seeing the ads myself, but that they're here at all. But I understand the money is needed. When I said I wish there was a better way, I meant a better way to get ad income while filtering out the crapola.

8. Apr 2, 2005 #7

anti_crank

Science Advisor

Alas, it's all wishful thinking, unless you can program a web crawler to distinguish between a valid and a crackpot science site. It has been suggested that this can be done by counting the number of times the page changes font color and/or size from paragraph to paragraph...

9. Apr 2, 2005 #8
    he he ... good one ...

10. Apr 2, 2005 #9
    Well the adsense program doesn't select sites based on the complete google index. The site's are matched from within the adwords advertising database. So these crackpots are actively advertising. I don't think it's a huge problem because not many crackpots are actively using adwords to advertise. As long as you guys keep reporting a bad ad I can immediately ban it.

11. Apr 2, 2005 #10

anti_crank

Science Advisor

Fine by me; where do I send the list? (I do not have it on me though since I am currently away on a visit, but I will have it next week.)

Also, I wonder if Google adsense has any provisions that prohibits false advertising.

12. Apr 2, 2005 #11
    You can PM me, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?