Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange animal shot and killed

1. Jul 29, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A Hairless Mexican dog, a coyote with mange, an armadillo without a shell, a hybrid? An interesting story with a [dead] body for evidence.

Be sure to watch the video.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=FAE91F84-A264-4AC3-8EA4-9097690CDEFC

Last edited: Jul 29, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2004 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Can't they put up some larger pictures?

4. Jul 29, 2004 #3
    That animal looks like the one from an xH outer space, just compare the picture of their faces, you will see what I mean..

5. Jul 29, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have no idea what you are talking about.

6. Jul 29, 2004 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Jul 29, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:confused: why are ALL the newsitems about sex/death/abuse? typical..

8. Jul 29, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The face doesn't look like a dog's face to me...except maybe a little like a Chihuahua. What surprises me is that people at the Zoo couldn't be sure. Can't they do some kind of simple test to show whether or not its a breed of dog, or is DNA the only method beyond visual identification for something like this?

An interesting note about the Liger: I will probably get this backwards, but the gene that controls growth is found in the female lion, and in the male tiger. So, if we cross a male lion, with a female tiget we get something absolutely amazing - the biggest kitty cat I have ever seen! I think it may weigh almost twice as much as a normal lion or tiger. I saw a short nature diddi on this quite some time ago so the exact details are a bit vague. Must google.

9. Jul 29, 2004 #8
    Hey! I saw the same program about the liger. I don't remember if you have the parent's sexes right, but yeah that was really neat, because the gene that limited growth was in the parent of each species that they *didn't* use to breed. Really neat! Remember the shot where it was standing with its paws on the table, and how tall it was??

With this "chupacabra", like you said, why can't they just get some DNA and compare it whatever breed of C. familiaris (dog?)? I don't see why it's so difficult, the profs at my university compare DNA of plants all the time.

10. Jul 29, 2004 #9
    Because it grabs attention :-) Who wants to watch news about the worlds biggest cookie?

11. Jul 29, 2004 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe some social or political topics would be in place.. I was actually curious what's going on in San Antonio.. that's why you'd usually watch the news.. well.. I won't be stopping by when I'm in the neighbourhood :uhh:

12. Jul 29, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

and the guy is standing on the picnic table and holding the meat as high as he can, and the Liger stands up and takes it with its mouth. :surprise:

That is one big animal! AMAZING!

13. Jul 29, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

chicken of tham thar chupacabras are yeh? :biggrin:

14. Jul 29, 2004 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

15. Jul 29, 2004 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes that would be the one. Incredible isn't it?

16. Jul 29, 2004 #15
    Are you in San Antonio often? ;)

17. Jul 29, 2004 #16

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

It's bland and boring as hell. Don't speed, either. The cops are ruthless.

18. Jul 29, 2004 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but can you still legally drink while you drive? For me, many years ago at least, that defined Texas.

19. Jul 29, 2004 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's impossible to tell anything from those pictures...those have to be some of the worst quality photos I've ever seen, and no way to even enlarge them. I'm sure they could just do a DNA test to confirm it's a dog if that's what they think it is. Looks emaciated...ribs and hip bones just sticking out...or has it been dead a while?

Hard to believe it was doing that good of a job catching chickens if it looks so scrawny. Wonder if he really got the right culprit there.

20. Jul 30, 2004 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. Jul 31, 2004 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?