Exploring the Relationship Between Parallel Capacitor Plates & Spheres

In summary, by considering the relationship between capacitance and potential difference, and the concept of a spherical capacitor, you can solve for the distance between two parallel plates given the area and desired capacitance.
nonvestigial
This isn't a problem out of my book, just something I noticed while *doing* a problem on parallel capacitor plates. The problem gave me an area for each plate (1 m^2)and a desired capacitance (1 F)and prompted me to find the distance between the plates.

C = q/v (capacitance = charge/potential difference)
v = integration [E*ds] (potential diff = int [electric field * infinitesimal distance])

Here's what I was supposed to be doing:

V = integration [E * ds] from 0 to d, that is Ed. From flux, q/(ε0) = EA, so q = (ε0)EA. C = q/v, therefore C = (ε0)A/d. Plug in A and C and get d.

But I was also thinking:
C = q/v. Plugging in v = kq/d, you get C=d/k or C=4π(ε0)d. Setting the two Cs equal, you get A=4πd^2, which is the surface area of a sphere! What?

I have an idea that it's related to A) an infinitesimally small piece of a sphere being a square B) ignoring fringing, and thus making the situation as though the two plates were shells. Is this right? Plugging in the d that I got (8.854 x 10^-12 m) back into A = 4πr^2 gets me a near-negligible area, which seems to make sense with the dA idea... but I'm not sure how this all plays out mathematically.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your idea is correct. The equation C = 4πε0d is true for a spherical capacitor, which is equivalent to two parallel plates when the fringing effect is ignored. The area of the plates is related to the distance between them by A = 4πr2, where r is the radius of the sphere. This means that if you know the desired capacitance and the distance between the plates, you can calculate the area of each plate. With this information, you can then use the equation C = q/v to calculate the charge or potential difference (which are related by q = Cv).

Hello Stephanie,

Thank you for sharing your observations and thoughts on the relationship between parallel capacitor plates and spheres. I can confirm that your thinking is on the right track. The connection between the two is due to the fact that the electric field between two parallel plates is very similar to the electric field inside a spherical capacitor.

To explain this further, let's first consider the equation for capacitance, C = q/v. This equation tells us that the capacitance is equal to the charge divided by the potential difference. In the case of a parallel plate capacitor, the potential difference is equal to the electric field (E) multiplied by the distance between the plates (d). So, we can rewrite the equation as C = q/(Ed). Now, let's look at the electric field between two parallel plates. This field is constant and equal to E = V/d, where V is the voltage applied to the plates. Substituting this into our equation for capacitance, we get C = (q/d)/(V/d). The d's cancel out, and we are left with C = q/V, which is the same equation for capacitance in a spherical capacitor.

Next, let's look at the equation for potential difference, V = integration [E * ds]. This equation tells us that the potential difference is equal to the integral of the electric field over an infinitesimal distance (ds). In the case of a parallel plate capacitor, the electric field is constant, so we can pull it out of the integral. This leaves us with V = E * integration [ds]. The integration of ds is just the distance between the plates, so we can rewrite the equation as V = Ed. This is the same equation for potential difference in a spherical capacitor.

Now, let's look at your observation that setting the two capacitance equations equal to each other yields the surface area of a sphere, A = 4πr^2. This is because, in a spherical capacitor, the electric field is radial and has the same magnitude at any point on the surface of the sphere. This means that the electric field is constant and equal to E = q/(4πε0r^2), where q is the charge on the sphere and r is the radius. Substituting this into the equation for capacitance, we get C = q/(V/r) = (q * r)/V. Comparing this to the equation for capacitance in a parallel plate

1. What is the purpose of exploring the relationship between parallel capacitor plates and spheres?

The purpose of exploring this relationship is to understand how the capacitance, or ability to store electric charge, changes based on the geometry of the capacitor. This can provide valuable insights for designing more efficient and effective capacitors.

2. How do parallel capacitor plates and spheres differ in terms of capacitance?

Parallel capacitor plates have a larger capacitance compared to spheres of the same size and material, as the electric field is more concentrated between the plates. This allows for a greater charge to be stored.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of parallel capacitor plates and spheres?

The capacitance of parallel capacitor plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the dielectric material between them. For spheres, the capacitance is affected by the radius of the sphere and the dielectric material surrounding it.

4. How can the relationship between parallel capacitor plates and spheres be applied in real-world situations?

The relationship between these two geometries can be applied in the design and optimization of capacitors used in various electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and medical equipment. It can also be applied in understanding the behavior of natural capacitors, such as the Earth's atmosphere.

5. Is there any practical limit to the capacitance that can be achieved with parallel capacitor plates and spheres?

There is no theoretical limit to the capacitance that can be achieved with parallel capacitor plates and spheres. However, practical limitations such as size, materials, and cost may restrict the maximum achievable capacitance in real-world applications.