Strange behavior of thermal expansion and resistivity equations

In summary, the equation for linear thermal expansion is similar to the equation for resistivity. The coefficient of thermal expansion, α, is dependent only on the material being used. When using the formula, it is important to note that it is only an approximation and may not give precise results. The equation can also be rewritten as a canonical linear function, which suggests that α is dependent on the initial length, l0, and is inversely proportional to it.
atat1tata
The equation of linear thermal expansion is [tex]l=l_0\left[1 + \alpha(t - t_0)\right][/tex] (it is similar also to the equation of resistivity, [tex]\rho=\rho_0\left[1 + \alpha(t - t_0)\right][/tex])

[tex]\alpha[/tex] is a constant dependent only on the material we are speaking about.

Now, let's say I have a bar 100 m long at 0°C. The material I'm using has a coefficient of thermal expansion of 0.01 1/°C. I'm heating it to 10°C
So [tex]l_0 = 100 m[/tex], [tex]t_0 = 0°C[/tex], [tex]\alpha = 0.01 °C^{-1} [/tex], t = 10 °C

[tex]l=(100 m)\left[1 + 0.01 °C^{-1} (10 °C)\right] = 1.1(100 m) = 110 m[/tex]

Now, I have a bar 110 m long at 10°C and I want to return it to 0°C.
So [tex]l_0 = 110 m[/tex], [tex]t_0 = 10°C[/tex], [tex]\alpha = 0.01 °C^{-1} [/tex], [tex]t = 0 °C [/tex]

[tex]l=(110 m)\left[1 + 0.01 °C^{-1} (-10 °C)\right] = 0.9(110 m) = 99 m[/tex]

With resistance there are almost the same problems. Where am I wrong?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
The formula you are using are only approximations, roughly correct around room temperature. You can't expect precise results.

Rewrite it in canonical linear function
[tex]l = \left( {{l_0} - \alpha {l_0}{t_0}} \right) + \alpha {l_0}t[/tex]
This should hold for all [tex]{l_0}[/tex] in an ideal situation,so this suggest that [tex]\alpha [/tex] is dependent on [tex]{l_0}[/tex],or more specifically,inverse proportional.

1. What is thermal expansion and how does it affect materials?

Thermal expansion is the tendency of materials to expand or contract in response to changes in temperature. This is due to the increase or decrease in molecular motion as temperature changes. This can cause objects to change in size or shape, which can be problematic in certain applications.

2. Can thermal expansion be predicted or controlled?

Yes, thermal expansion can be predicted and controlled through the use of thermal expansion coefficients and proper design and material selection. Different materials have different coefficients of thermal expansion, which can be used to predict how they will respond to changes in temperature. Additionally, materials can be engineered to have specific coefficients of thermal expansion to minimize the effects of expansion and contraction.

3. How does thermal expansion affect resistivity equations?

Thermal expansion can affect resistivity equations by changing the dimensions of the material, which can in turn affect its resistance. This is because resistance is directly proportional to the length and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of a material. As the material expands or contracts, its dimensions change, which can alter its resistance and therefore affect resistivity equations.

4. What are some practical applications of understanding thermal expansion and resistivity equations?

Understanding thermal expansion and resistivity equations is important in various industries and applications. Some examples include designing bridges and buildings to withstand temperature changes, predicting changes in electrical conductivity in electronic devices, and developing thermal barriers for spacecraft to prevent damage from extreme temperatures.

5. Can thermal expansion and resistivity equations be applied to all materials?

No, thermal expansion and resistivity equations cannot be applied to all materials. These equations are based on certain assumptions and may not accurately predict the behavior of all materials. Additionally, materials with complex structures or properties may exhibit different thermal expansion and resistivity behaviors that cannot be easily described by these equations.