Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange behaviour on "MY PF"

1. Jul 10, 2014 #1

DataGG

Gold Member

Hey,

So, there's something happening that might be a bug. The answer is probably "we can't fix it", but ya, I think I should report it either way.

If I go to MY PF and there are threads in my subscribed threads that have new replies, the thread title will be bold and an "N" will be placed after the title.

Until now everything's fine. I click on the topic and read it. Go to MY PF again and it no longer has the "N" nor is it bold.

However, if I close the browser and go to "MY PF" again, it'll appear bold and with the "N", even though no new posts have been added since the last time I visited it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2014 #2
    Indeed, just something goofy with the thread read cookies.

4. Jul 12, 2014 #3

DataGG

Gold Member

And can you fix it? It pisses me off a little bit..

5. Jul 12, 2014 #4

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have also seen the bug described by DataGG but it doesn't bother me since I don't close my browser that often. On the server side, it still appears that you're tracking the last visit such that those bolded, visited links go away after a certain amount of time.

Greg, if it helps, whenever I use the back button to return to MyPF or search results, I have to reload the page in order for my visited pages to not be bolded. The site didn't previously do that. It seemed to start after an upgrade over a year ago. And, for all I know, it could have been due a browser upgrade. As a programmer, I understand how low something like this falls on the priority list... :tongue:

6. Jul 12, 2014 #5
    I'm sorry you are frustrated. We tentatively plan on upgrading the software next year.

7. Jul 12, 2014 #6

DataGG

Gold Member

Is PF gonna lose the database?

8. Jul 12, 2014 #7

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Do we look THAT stupid?

9. Jul 13, 2014 #8

DataGG

Gold Member

I asked a question, which to me seems to be perfectly valid. No idea where you're coming from..

As far as I know, when changing forum software (for example vbulletin to ipboard) one cannot keep the database, but I don't know much so that's why I asked.

But ya, whatever, I apologize for making a question.

10. Jul 13, 2014 #9

Borek

Do you really, really think that anyone would switch to a different software if it would mean losing 630k threads and 4.5M posts collected over 11 years?

11. Jul 13, 2014 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, we did loose the database before Borek, when upgrading to new software. Greg put the database on a CD and I think I received one. I once searched for it, but unfortunately couldn't find it. Do you still have it Greg? :biggrin:

12. Jul 13, 2014 #11

Borek

I am not talking about software that was on the market 13 years ago, when the very idea of the internet forum was quite new. I am not talking about small forum and an inexperienced admin (sorry Greg :tongue:). I am not talking about accidents - it happens. I am also not talking about panic mode situations - other forum I am administering lost large part of the database when we were forced to move to another provider (and the previous one proved to be a jerk).

I am talking about today and about planned upgrades of a huge, professionally run site as todays' PF definitely is (all hail Greg :tongue2:).

13. Jul 13, 2014 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just don't imply that the question is stupid and not worth asking. I myself was under the impression that the reason PF is not running the latest software is because of database issues.

The railway company in the Netherlands switched to electronic tickets and a ticket I used to buy went up in price from 1,70 to 25,00. Of course the company claims the price stayed the same and the technological advancement is for the good of the customers. I'm always for asking questions and not assuming anything.

14. Jul 13, 2014 #13
    The administrator response was extremely rude. The poster had a valid question. No need to scare members from the site.

15. Jul 13, 2014 #14

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not rude. I thought it was a good response. :mad:

16. Jul 13, 2014 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think answering a question with a question and an attitude, twice, is rude. Borek could have answered with "You are right for your concern, we'd never upgrade if the database would be lost.". Exactly the point where PF could improve its attitude to members.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  17. Jul 13, 2014 #16
    Have no fear, the database will be preserved. Just a couple weeks ago I even did a test import and it went smoothly. But as I said, we don't plan on moving/upgrading platforms any sooner than next summer. A lot of preparations will need to take place. It will be a big project.

I do still have the CD for PF1 :) For a few years I put them online, not sure if you saw :)

18. Jul 13, 2014 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry. I don't see it that way.

19. Jul 13, 2014 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Borek claims: "professionally run site as todays' PF definitely is".
    His answer as an admin is FAR from professional. I like Borek a lot, but it just needs to be said.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  20. Jul 13, 2014 #19

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there's ever a chance to get another copy I'd like to have one :smile:

21. Jul 13, 2014 #20
    This could be arranged :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook