Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange Conversations

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every once in awhile you have a conversation with someone that leaves you shaking your head, right? Here is one from today.

Me: I'd like to get my car serviced [make and model given, etc]
    Her: What do you need done?
    Me: My heater fan is failing intermittantly
    Her: Does it work at all? I need to know what parts to order
    Me: It acts like the motor is going out; like it has a bad winding on the rotor. If it doesn't start, it will after I get up to 60 mph or so and get air moving across the fan. But I guess it could be something in the speed control as well. [too much information!!!]
    Her: Well I need to know for sure so I know what to order
    Me: You mean you need to know what has failed?
    Her: Yes
    Me: Well I'm not sure. I was thinking maybe your mechanic could figure that out
    Her: Oh, good point.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2
    Oh, good point.

lol

4. Jan 14, 2013 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

ER patient to ER receptionist: Hi, I have an inflamed second appendix I need to have removed.

Receptionist: Yes, right way, sir. And thank you for being so helpful - we just had a guy in here who called himself "Ivan Seeking" - he just kept complaining of abdominal pain, he wouldn't tell us what we were supposed to do!!

5. Jan 14, 2013 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, there is more humor in that than you know. When I was about 20 years old I was having abdominal pain; and pain where a guy really doesn't want it when I tried to lift something. It seemed like a classic hernia. So I went to the ER. The next thing I know the ER doc is ordering a CAT scan. "CAT scan?!?! Really?", said I, "I assumed it was just a hernia." So the doc came over, grabbed the goods, [cough], "Yeah, it's a hernia." Okay, thanks doc.:rolleyes:

6. Jan 14, 2013 #5
    Grabbed the goods LOL

7. Jan 16, 2013 #6

Tsu

Gold Member

You didn't tell me you had your GOODS GRABBED!!!! :surprised

8. Jan 16, 2013 #7
    I didn't know you were in the hospital, but I'm glad to hear you're holding your own.

9. Jan 16, 2013 #8

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

It appears that this time...the docs holdin' em!

10. Jan 16, 2013 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Somehow this thread seems to have taken a disturbing turn... :eek:

11. Jan 16, 2013 #10

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since it's going that way, I'll say, you're lucky you were 20; for me it was 5. :bugeye:

12. Jan 16, 2013 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

~ 20... For me it ended up being a real treat! I had nothing to do but to stay in bed, [take good drugs], watch every bit of rare and common NASA footage ever filmed for a couple of weeks, and then watch the very first launch of the Space Shuttle. It was a space nut's bonanza and a nerd's dream come true.

13. Jan 22, 2013 #12

Bacle2

Science Advisor

I was eating at a restaurant, and I overheard the lady in the next table ask the waiter:

are the mushrooms in dish X fresh?

The waiter replies, apparently without sarcasm :

Yes, ma'am, we just opened the can.

14. Jan 22, 2013 #13

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Buahaha!

15. Jan 22, 2013 #14
    I had a similar experience. I was picking out live lobsters to take home with me when the woman next to me asked the clerk, "Are these fresh?".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook