What Is the Delta G for Creatine Phosphate Hydrolysis at 1 mM Concentration?

In summary, the delta G for the hydrolysis of creatine phosphate under cellular conditions with a concentration of 1 mM for creatine phosphate, creatine, and phosphate at 25 degrees C is less than -43 kJ/mol. This was a question from a biochemistry exam that caused confusion among students and even the professor struggled to explain it. Despite this, the individual asking the question received a high A on the exam and is seeking further clarification.
Rear Naked
Question:

Which best describes the delta G for hydrolysis of creatine phosphate under cellular conditions in which the concentration of creatine phosphate, creatine, and phosphate all equal 1 mM at 25 degrees C. The delta G naught for the hydrolysis of creatine phosphate at 25 degrees C is -43kJ/mol

a) delta G < -43kJ/mol
b) delta G = -43kJ/mol
c) delta G > 0kJ/mol
d) -43kJ/mol < delta G < 0 kJ/mol

This was a question on my last biochem exam. I was so confused by this question, as were many of my classmates. My professor is quite possibly the worst I have encountered, and left us further confused when she tried to explain it. I got a high A on the exam, but I would be grateful if someone could explain this :)

Physics news on Phys.org
anybody?

What is delta G?

Delta G (ΔG) is the symbol for Gibbs free energy, a measure of the spontaneity of a chemical reaction. It takes into account the energy changes of a system and its surroundings.

Why is delta G important?

Delta G helps to determine whether a reaction will occur spontaneously or not. If ΔG is negative, the reaction is spontaneous and can occur without the input of external energy. If ΔG is positive, the reaction is non-spontaneous and requires an input of energy to occur.

What does a negative delta G mean?

A negative delta G indicates that the reaction is spontaneous and will release energy. This means that the products of the reaction are more stable than the reactants.

Can delta G be zero?

Yes, delta G can be zero. This means that the system is at equilibrium, and there is no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

How is delta G related to equilibrium?

Delta G is related to equilibrium through the equation ΔG = ΔG° + RTln(Q), where Q is the reaction quotient and ΔG° is the standard free energy change. At equilibrium, ΔG is equal to zero, indicating that the system is in a state of minimum energy and maximum stability.