1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange derivation: Statistical thermodynamics

1. Nov 5, 2005 #1
    This isn't a homework question. I'm studying this from a book (Thermal Physics by Kittel & Kroemer) currently. Up til now I've had no problem following it. There's one derivation that's got me a little stumped however. I had thought my calculus was proficient enough, but I'm just not seeing something here and it's very frustrating. Y'know how it is when you just can't let yourself continue until you get past this tiny hurdle :grumpy:

Anyway here it is scanned from the book:

The equation circled is the bit I'm having trouble with, I see where he's going with putting it in that form but I can't see how he got that equation from the one immedietly prior..

by the way:
    F is helmholtz free energy,
    Z is the partition function,
    U is the average energy of the ensemble,
    tau is the fundamental temperature and
    sigma is the entropy

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2005 #2
    Quick reply
    Take this expression
    U=-\tau^2 \frac{\partial(F/ \tau)}{\partial \tau}
    use the product rule for derivatives. And you'll get back to the prior equation
  4. Nov 7, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could use Greiner's text on Thermodynamics & Statistical Physics. It's much more clear and the calculations are detailed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?